Class Politics Inhaul

R

Ross B

I use the Colie Sails Inhaul, which is about 3 feet long, and has hooks on the end, and i dont want to cut it up, when i started to use the the new clew sleeve, i couldent rig it the old way, so i just put one hook on the hook of the clew sleeve, then ran it along the boom, through the first mainsheet boom bain, then hooked it on the boom cleat

is this legal?

vi. A shock cord may be attached between the outhaul cleat and the clew of the sail, the clew tie down, the optional block at the clew, or the quick release system for use as an inhaul.

it is attached to the quick release system, and the outhaul cleat, so i would say yes

also, i suppose it would also currently be illegal to make my inhaul a JC strap too, i cant run my inhaul from the bow eye along to boom to the clew?

Reading the above posts begs the question:

Do you want to race Lasers?

The boat and the game are clearly defined.

The intention of those who originally organized and sold the original Laser game was to assemble a fleet of sailors who would have EXACTLY EQUAL equipment.

Beleive me, there are many of us who are extremely well trained, clever enough, and who have tools and facilities where we could build much lighter, strtiffer, stronger, smoother, bettter shaped, better rigged, and MUCH FASTER boats than Lasers.

Many of us have developed sufficient skills , own the amterials, and have the equipment available such that we could build something that looks like a Laser but is not a Laser.

That is not the game the Laser sailors around the world have decided to play.

Instead, the very successful worldwide fleet has decided to invite everyone to come play an excellent game with a target goal which includes the use of 100% equal boats.

You are welcome to join us and to race in the world's most successful fleet.

The reply was focused on adding new fittings and gizmos to the Laser. There was another absurd post above from a sailor trying to change the boat into one with a "boom puller outer" device.

Lasers are sailed in light air by sailors who use their relative ability to keep the boom in the proper position as a means to decide who can best sail the craft.

We have had the world's most successful sailing game for over thirty years

I am well past being mildly annoyed by those who feel compelled to change the game to match their own personal body types, wallets, and abilities.

I am equally annoyed by those who attempt to make a buck by suggesting changes in the game and the equipment so that their personal product can be purchased by the 180,000 Laser owners around the world.

Yes!! I do live by my own rules. I am 100% certain I could supply the very fastest Centerboards and rudders for the Laser game and I could even supply them as class legal under the current rules. I have been asked as recently as yesterday to refinish and sell very high quality finished blades.
I said, "NO."
I also believe I could mass produce blades that are better and less expensive than the current blades. I am certain I could make some serious money building and selling those blades. I could call them the Investimee brand. That would not help Laser sailing. I won't do it!
Let's all go back to attempting to field a fleet of 100% equal boats so we can play the Laser game.

Buy Kirby's boat and pay him his royalties. He and his buddies came up with a great game.

Clearly you have the credibility by winning a light air race in a national event against a variety of sailors.

Followed by rounding the first four marks of the next race in dead stinking last.

No one has ever accused me of being consistant.

Or of with holding my opinions

or failing to admit having my own and later proven absurd opinions.

All you really did was screw up a perfectly good excuse for all of us that are not featherweights to blame our poor light air performance on size.

Continuing the thread hijack....

actually...As soon as the wind PIPES UP to 5 MPH, Fred and his 235 lbs sit low and slow as the rest sail by.
In zero to five big guys are still competitive ESPECIALLY if the big guy just loves to half stand kneel sit in horribly uncomfortable contorted postions.

The truth is, I was last after abpout two minutes, reached to the shore, caught a puff and sailed around the nearly becalmed fleet.
For the rest of the race I was fortunate enough to use the original lead to get to the puffs before they dissipated.

The world's most selfish sailor could not write a more self centered script for the play "I Get All the Puffs and the Rest of the Fleet Sits."

The wind even died completely as soon as I crossed the line. It took two or three minutes for the 2nd and 3rd place fellows to sail their last couple boat lengths and cross the line. The remainder of the fleet used a half hour to sail the last quarter mile.

I think you are getting into the lucky or smart debate. I have watched the good guys find wind when there appears to be none. I guess I would take the win and be happy if it were me!

Picture is interesting seeing that inhaul attached to cotter pin and not the hook. Inhaul forward attachment may still possibly inhibit sleve rotation in some circumstances 9but probably not). failsafe seems to be to lead the inhaul (if really needed) thru the actual clew grommet. To assist in ease of rigging the hook in the inhaul passes thru the grommet and doubles back onto an other hook on itself.

Have tried the inhaul but frankly it doesnt seem necessary if the new sleeve is set-up correctly and is not twisted out of shape on installation so it binds on the front edge (or provided the boom does not have serious corrosion or scratches or dents etc that impede its glide). Have noticed however that the new sleeve seems to set up better on some boom sail combinations than others - not sure if this is due to component variance or simply twisting of the sleeve assembly in an eagerness to get it assembled.

listen Gouvernail if its class legal use it! and just because your probably old and immune to change and innovation doesnt mean you need to get angry at people

Get angry?? Hell I'm always pissed off just as a general mood.

Mostly theh PO post was aimed at Ross and his constant annoying attemtps to put one doo dad or another onto the boat and therfore force the rest of us to re-rig.

But. As a rule I believe guys like Ross are the enthusiastic youngsters who make the class continue to have any heartbeat what so ever.

I would much rather he constantly annoy me with his non stop campaigns for his damned new contraptions than spend all his time crewing on a Mumm.

Ross for VP

I use the Colie Sails Inhaul, which is about 3 feet long, and has hooks on the end, and i dont want to cut it up, when i started to use the the new clew sleeve, i couldent rig it the old way, so i just put one hook on the hook of the clew sleeve, then ran it along the boom, through the first mainsheet boom bain, then hooked it on the boom cleat

is this legal?

vi. A shock cord may be attached between the outhaul cleat and the clew of the sail, the clew tie down, the optional block at the clew, or the quick release system for use as an inhaul.

it is attached to the quick release system, and the outhaul cleat, so i would say yes

However, it is also attached to the "first mainsheet boom bain" which is not specifically allowed by the rules and is therefore illegal. The rules (rewritten here to clarify their meaning) specifically allow a shock cord for use as an inhaul to be attached between the outhaul cleat and (a) the clew of the sail, (b) the clew tie down, (c) the optional block at the clew, or (d) the quick release system. Thus, the rules require the inhaul to be attached ONLY to the outhaul cleat and ONE of four other locations (a-d), which are all located at or near the clew. The "first mainsheet boom bain" is not one of the other four locations (a-d) and is therefore an illegal location through which to run your inhaul shockcord.

I am at a loss to see what advantage the metal clew thingy is. My string downhaul line works just fine and costs @ £ 1.73 to replace when looking a bit worn (approximately once every 3 years).

the key with "metal clew thingy" is that's consistent in it's setting, it never wears out, and its easy to get the sail on and off

However, it is also attached to the "first mainsheet boom bain" which is not specifically allowed by the rules and is therefore illegal. The rules (rewritten here to clarify their meaning) specifically allow a shock cord for use as an inhaul to be attached between the outhaul cleat and (a) the clew of the sail, (b) the clew tie down, (c) the optional block at the clew, or (d) the quick release system. Thus, the rules require the inhaul to be attached ONLY to the outhaul cleat and ONE of four other locations (a-d), which are all located at or near the clew. The "first mainsheet boom bain" is not one of the other four locations (a-d) and is therefore an illegal location through which to run your inhaul shockcord.

You can't use the bain?
What a pain!
It would be such a gain
And now you've flushed Rossums' idea down the drain.

I can hardly contain
My disdain
For how these rules constrain
A Laser sailor like Rossums who wants to use his brain.

So to save him any more strain
Let's start a campaign
To allow use of the bain
And to elect Rossums for President of the whole damn global Laser domain.

Back