Inexpensive option for block/ratchet block with cleat option? Does NOT need to be class legal

duganderson

I'm looking for an inexpensive option for a block or racket with cleat option? Suggestions? If you have a cleat, how helpful do you find the rachet block vs non-ratcheted block.

Does NOT need to be class legal

I'm looking for an inexpensive option for a block or racket with cleat option? Suggestions? If you have a cleat, how helpful do you find the rachet block vs non-ratcheted block.

Does NOT need to be class legal
As an FYI, I don’t think there are any ratchet blocks or sheet cleats that are not class legal.

I had that Nautos block from Intensity Sails mounted on our Minifish.
personally, I'd spring the extra $ to get a Harken 2135.

mainsheet-cleat-parts-list.png

Do you have the manufacturer's name and model number for this block and cam combo? I see "RF15" on the block but that's it.
Those are Ronstan fittings that were discontinued a long time ago. The RF6 comes closest in their current range, but the cleating angle doesn't look that good.

_

Those are Ronstan fittings that were discontinued a long time ago. The RF6 comes closest in their current range, but the cleating angle doesn't look that good.
Thanks! Do you think a steep shim and some longer screws might get it closer?

Update: Ah... I just read about the two positions and the included riser kit for a higher angle. :(

Cheers,

- Andy

Last edited:
Mine shown in #5 is Ronstan.

Do this google search. You will find many options.

Attachments

• 104EA932-FB45-4FDF-825C-19B67DC8055D.png
    104EA932-FB45-4FDF-825C-19B67DC8055D.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 68
Do you think a steep shim and some longer screws might get it closer?
No, no! It's supposed to go the other way, lower! The Sunfish is rare among dinghies in having the last mainsheet block on the deck; most other boats I can think of have it farther down, on the cockpit floor, centreboard case top, or somewhere in between. Therefore most available cleat swivels point way too high for a Sunfish, including the RF6 I think.

...but has anyone tried the RF7? It has an adjustable cam arm whose lowest position might work:

ronstan-rf7-torretta-girevole-su-sfere-con-strozzascotte-o3-12mm-00.gif

_

I like this set up. Nuts & bolts through the forward flange, swivels to face you. Cam cleat holds as you tack. Use a heavy sheet and it’s easily snapped out of the cams. View attachment 53347
That's the one I have on my ex-racer, but I substituted a rachet block.

Some previous owner adjusted the cam-cleat base using a hammer! :confused:

Back