In Search of a Good Paddle to fit In Cubby

Woodwind

In trying to locate a paddle that would fit neatly in the Sunfish cubby without sticking out and hanging up on my hiking strap or mainsheet I ended up trying four different paddles, one was a freebie. (Beware That on Amazon the listed collapsed paddle lengths are not correct for three out of four of the paddles.)

Here they are:
1. A Sea Choice that was given to me, bright orange in color, three telescoping segments, model unknown
2. A Sea Choice that I purchased, bright orange, one telescoping segment Model 71090
3. An Attwood purchased, reddish orange in color, two telescoping segments, model 11828-1
4. A Better Boat “ Mini Paddle”purchased, medium blue in color, two telescoping segments, model no model number but had barcode # 53910 00776 see the image of the box label

Results:
1. This paddle the free Sea Choice didn’t have a sticker on it I could see remnants where it was stuck on near the handle. It was too long collapsed to fit in the cubby so it was rejected.

It did move the Sunfish well through the vegetation at the waters edge.
This paddle would not fit into the cubby, but I used it to see how it behaved. Due to the length collapsed It was constantly hanging up on my hiking strap and main sheet and sliding around in the cockpit sole.
It came apart at an inconvenient time, the cap on the end of the paddle pushed out and allowed the end of the shaft to come out exposing the locking mechanism.
Looking more closely at the design AHAAA there’s no drain hole in the bottom and there are not any holes drilled along the side of the shaft like the Better Boat and Atwood to allow the water to get out. So I think after a few uses you accumulate enough water and basically a hydraulic hammer is created that pops the cap off when the paddle is retracted.
It required examining closely to get the parts lined up in the right position to allow reassembly... couldnt do it on the water ....so I paddled back to shore holding onto the just the blade. (hear row row row your boat....)

The Sea Choice has a design flaw that could be remedied by drilling a couple holes and adding rivets, there is room, and drilling one or two drains. The end cap is a flexible slippery plastic different from the more rigid blade. It shed the adhesive the manufacturer used. You could just peel it off with your finger nail after the end cap popped off.

I like the heft of the Sea Choice, too bad it did not fit in the cubby I wouldn’t have rejected it. It probably would’ve failed and then I would’ve drilled the holes and riveted the end cap on. So I ordered the same brand with one section collapsible. It is reviewed next.

2. The Sea Choice model 71090, the length advertised indicated it would fit in the cubby. It did not retract to that length, so it was rejected.

If I were to keep it I would still have to make modifications because it’s designed exactly like the three section version with the endcap that’s glued in place with no rivets. There’s a label near the handle that I have figured out acts as a stop so the shaft doesn’t hit the plug and knock it out. if I could retract it a little farther I might keep it. You would have to try to soak the label off, retract the handle and test the length and rivet the endcap back on. Then drill a drain hole and possibly add another thinner tape stop at the handle to keep the shaft from hitting the end plug repeatedly, because eventually it would probably either break the rivets that you added or break the plastic endcap. While I was at it I would also rivet the handle on as it has a press or crimped type fit, with no fastener going through the handle like the Atwood and Better Boat.
but overall I like the weight and the build of the blade on this pedal the best. I may try to convert the free one I have but it will take a little bit of machining. The shaft is 6 1/2 inches wide and about 14 and 8 inches long larger than the other two.

3. The Attwood Design designed similarly to the Better Boat also was longer than listed and would not fit in the cubby flat fully collapsed.
It was rejected.

You would have to cock it up at a diagonal with the handle being at the top of the cubby and the blade being at the back bottom. This would stop you from putting much of anything else into the cubby. It did have a riveted on handle and also drains drilled along the shaft through the blade. This is a good thing that would prevent the accumulation of water imparting the full collapse of the paddle.

4. The Better Boat fit perfectly into the cubby right out of the box. It has drain holes to prevent a hydraulic lock, the handle is riveted on and there’s also an extra plastic sleeve above the paddle blade, a stop of sorts to prevent you from pulling it all apart.

Overall it fits perfectly into the cubby, it’s a good design, it’s a two segmented paddle so the shaft has a longer reach than the comparable Sea Choice. I like to test the bottom because I’m in darker tanning water before I step out.

The blade design is just not quite as robust as the Sea Choice, kind a looks toy paddle-ish but I think it’s robust enough to paddle me in and out through the vegetation. I think it’s sufficient.

It has a two segmented telescoping handle; A hole drilled into the handle which is larger than the Sea Choice so that you can secure it or put a lanyard on it. The handle is a little bit smaller than the Sea Choice but it’s still designed in a boat hook shape.
The first shaft segment from the blade is 25 mm the second shaft section is 21.8 mm.
The blade is 6 inches wide and 10 and three-quarter inches long, smaller than the Sea Choice, but it doesn’t have the grab handle cut out into the blade like the Sea Choice. It would fit in your gear bag nicely also.

I’m going to put it to the test and I will report back if anything negative happens.
I’ve chosen the Better Boat because it works right out of the box I’m going to give it a good test.
And one trick....you may find one discounted like I did through the Amazon Warehouse.

I’m lake sailing these days. if I were tidal sailing I would carry a sturdy wood paddle strapped down somewhere.
I’ve sailed similar boats in the Atlantic where I had to cross a bar. I usually had a nice one piece wooden paddle for that situation.

Just maybe I’ll modify the freebie Sea Choice, but for now I’m just interested in sailing. :D

Happy paddle hunting!

Attachments

• 914A8937-4DC2-4E4D-90AE-734003506F25.jpeg
    914A8937-4DC2-4E4D-90AE-734003506F25.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 54
  • D92B0F81-AC55-4B51-8A23-5B08AFF15099.jpeg
    D92B0F81-AC55-4B51-8A23-5B08AFF15099.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 68
  • 351B8E91-8911-4C5E-A61F-028D09DB92CF.jpeg
    351B8E91-8911-4C5E-A61F-028D09DB92CF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
  • 88CD4881-16BB-4360-BDEC-3A962C211EFF.jpeg
    88CD4881-16BB-4360-BDEC-3A962C211EFF.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 50
  • C4863056-C189-41BE-ACA5-F6F80D0E628C.jpeg
    C4863056-C189-41BE-ACA5-F6F80D0E628C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 58
  • CF912867-49CE-44F9-8078-72F964CCA51B.jpeg
    CF912867-49CE-44F9-8078-72F964CCA51B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 67
Last edited:
I've got the orange paddle, with the price sticker still on it. It was floating out in the middle of a big lake. Lucky find, at $19. :) But it's stored between the mast and the halyard. Never thought :confused: to carry it in the cubby.

Thanks for this. I ordered your recommendation direct from Better Boat. I’m tired of getting counterfeit crap from Amazon.
It looks a little bit Toyish in comparison to the orange ones but the orange ones do not stay together. I’m rigging up to go out sailing right now and the blue paddle will take me out for a sail and also fit in my cubby without being a hazard.

Remember you can get one from the Amazon warehouse almost half the cost with a faster ship than the Amazon new.
But probably the fastest ship is directly from Better Boat that was SMART.
Let us know how the shipping goes.

The wind is Up and off I go

Have fun sailing!!!!!

In trying to locate a paddle that would fit neatly in the Sunfish cubby without sticking out and hanging up on my hiking strap or mainsheet I ended up trying four different paddles, one was a freebie. (Beware That on Amazon the listed collapsed paddle lengths are not correct for three out of four of the paddles.)

Here they are:
1. A Sea Choice that was given to me, bright orange in color, three telescoping segments, model unknown
2. A Sea Choice that I purchased, bright orange, one telescoping segment Model 71090
3. An Attwood purchased, reddish orange in color, two telescoping segments, model 11828-1
4. A Better Boat “ Mini Paddle”purchased, medium blue in color, two telescoping segments, model no model number but had barcode # 53910 00776 see the image of the box label

Results:
1. This paddle the free Sea Choice didn’t have a sticker on it I could see remnants where it was stuck on near the handle. It was too long collapsed to fit in the cubby so it was rejected.

This paddle would not fit into the cubby, but I used it to see how it behaved. Due to the length collapsed It was constantly hanging up on my hiking strap and main sheet and sliding around in the cockpit sole.
It came apart at an inconvenient time, the cap on the end of the paddle pushed out and allowed the end of the shaft to come out exposing the locking mechanism.
Looking more closely at the design AHAAA there’s no drain hole in the bottom and there are not any holes drilled along the side of the shaft like the Better Boat and Atwood to allow the water to get out. So I think after a few uses you accumulate enough water and basically a hydraulic hammer is created that pops the cap off when the paddle is retracted.
It required examining closely to get the parts lined up in the right position to allow reassembly... couldnt do it on the water ....so I paddled back to shore holding onto the just the blade. (hear row row row your boat....)

The Sea Choice has a design flaw that could be remedied by drilling a couple holes and adding rivets, there is room, and drilling one or two drains. The end cap is a flexible slippery plastic different from the more rigid blade. It shed the adhesive the manufacturer used. You could just peel it off with your finger nail after the end cap popped off.

I like the heft of the Sea Choice, too bad it did not fit in the cubby I wouldn’t have rejected it. It probably would’ve failed and then I would’ve drilled the holes and riveted the end cap on. So I ordered the same brand with one section collapsible. It is reviewed next.

2. The Sea Choice model 71090, the length advertised indicated it would fit in the cubby. It did not retract to that length, so it was rejected.

If I were to keep it I would still have to make modifications because it’s designed exactly like the three section version with the endcap that’s glued in place with no rivets. There’s a label near the handle that I have figured out acts as a stop so the shaft doesn’t hit the plug and knock it out. if I could retract it a little farther I might keep it. You would have to try to soak the label off, retract the handle and test the length and rivet the endcap back on. Then drill a drain hole and possibly add another thinner tape stop at the handle to keep the shaft from hitting the end plug repeatedly, because eventually it would probably either break the rivets that you added or break the plastic endcap. While I was at it I would also rivet the handle on as it has a press or crimped type fit, with no fastener going through the handle like the Atwood and Better Boat.
but overall I like the weight and the build of the blade on this pedal the best. I may try to convert the free one I have but it will take a little bit of machining. The shaft is 6 1/2 inches wide and about 14 and 8 inches long larger than the other two.

3. The Attwood Design designed similarly to the Better Boat also was longer than listed and would not fit in the cubby flat fully collapsed.
It was rejected.

You would have to cock it up at a diagonal with the handle being at the top of the cubby and the blade being at the back bottom. This would stop you from putting much of anything else into the cubby. It did have a riveted on handle and also drains drilled along the shaft through the blade. This is a good thing that would prevent the accumulation of water imparting the full collapse of the paddle.

4. The Better Boat fit perfectly into the cubby right out of the box. It has drain holes to prevent a hydraulic lock, the handle is riveted on and there’s also an extra plastic sleeve above the paddle blade, a stop of sorts to prevent you from pulling it all apart.

Overall it fits perfectly into the cubby, it’s a good design, it’s a two segmented paddle so the shaft has a longer reach than the comparable Sea Choice. I like to test the bottom because I’m in darker tanning water before I step out.

The blade design is just not quite as robust as the Sea Choice, kind a looks toy paddle-ish but I think it’s robust enough to paddle me in and out through the vegetation. I think it’s sufficient.

It has a two segmented telescoping handle; A hole drilled into the handle which is larger than the Sea Choice so that you can secure it or put a lanyard on it. The handle is a little bit smaller than the Sea Choice but it’s still designed in a boat hook shape.
The first shaft segment from the blade is 25 mm the second shaft section is 21.8 mm.
The blade is 6 inches wide and 10 and three-quarter inches long, smaller than the Sea Choice, but it doesn’t have the grab handle cut out into the blade like the Sea Choice. It would fit in your gear bag nicely also.

I’m going to put it to the test and I will report back if anything negative happens.
I’ve chosen the Better Boat because it works right out of the box I’m going to give it a good test.
And one trick....you may find one discounted like I did through the Amazon Warehouse.

I’m lake sailing these days. if I were tidal sailing I would carry a sturdy wood paddle strapped down somewhere.
I’ve sailed similar boats in the Atlantic where I had to cross a bar. I usually had a nice one piece wooden paddle for that situation.

Just maybe I’ll modify the freebie Sea Choice, but for now I’m just interested in sailing. :D

Happy paddle hunting!
Here is the fit in the cubby for the Better Boat Collapsible paddle.
Fits well with Rubbermaid “bailer” with a sponge and there’s plenty of room for a small dry bag for your cell phone...and a little insulated cooler too.

l used the paddle again today it’s very good, no malfunctions and it’s absolutely out-of-the-way when you’re sailing.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 37723D32-3C84-4942-BA0F-C14B0CD8F831.jpeg
    37723D32-3C84-4942-BA0F-C14B0CD8F831.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
Thanks for this. I ordered your recommendation direct from Better Boat. I’m tired of getting counterfeit crap from Amazon.

Here they are:

Results:

It was rejected.

Happy paddle hunting!

Image of Better Boat “Mini” paddle in cubby with Rubbermaid “bailer” and sponge

Attachments

• 43E6765F-5F78-4105-AC1B-DFCE88879FCB.jpeg
    43E6765F-5F78-4105-AC1B-DFCE88879FCB.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 77
My very old collapsible (screw together) Intex paddle also fits in the cubby. I got it with a one person inflatable years ago. It looks like Amazon and Walmart have a version. Its the yellow paddle with black tubular handle. My paddle is stamped V451-23

Image of Better Boat “Mini” paddle in cubby with Rubbermaid “bailer” and sponge
I’ve used this paddle for a couple of months now, and paddled the heck out of it against the wind to launch through lake grasses and it’s holding up well just to report in!

My very old collapsible (screw together) Intex paddle also fits in the cubby. I got it with a one person inflatable years ago. It looks like Amazon and Walmart have a version. Its the yellow paddle with black tubular handle. My paddle is stamped V451-23
Show us a picture :D

Here's one assembled and one ready to stow in the sunfish.

I added an 1/8" bungee cord similar to a camping tent pole. The bungee keeps the pieces oriented so assembly is simply screwing the sections together.

IMG_0404.png

huh, I'm pretty sure I have a couple of those paddles (likewise from an inflatable boat). I'll have to find them and keep them with my Sunfish from now on.

The Praddle is my all time favorite for the Sunfish as it is one handed allowing you to steer with one hand and paddle with thr other. It also fits well in the aft cockpit cubby: Praddle

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

My favorite paddle floated away after a capsize. :(

It was made conventionally of wood, the finish had worn away, and so short, it could have belonged to a clown! But it was a good-enough length for everyday use.

Deeply notched at the "grip" end, I could jam it between the boom and rub rail, haul-in the mainsheet and secure it with the cam cleat. Secured as it was, it became a "whiskerpole" to sail "off the wind" in light air. (Correcting for small wind changes using the rudder).

Back