improvements

liketoboat

I recently posted a picture of my '88 boat and someone asked me to post pics of some of my improvements . I already wrote elsewhere that I incorporated many of the suggestions that were contributed by other folks: Boom Kicker, engine mount, ladder hatch cover, centerboard lift, etc. Some of my own contributions are as follows: 6 inch plastic rear cleats , custom made Phifertex line bags on the cuddy door, transom, and inside the cuddy opening, custom made reversible seat cushions, different color lines for sheets, control lines, etc., C-14 decals for the Baby Bob, quick release pins on the shrouds and furler, and bulls eye fairleads on the front deck and cam cleat for the furling line. I will attach as many pics here as I can fit. The Phifertex bags and seat cushions came from Caroline Bannister [[email protected]]. The C-14 decals were made by [email protected] (877-252-0286). In each case they already have a template made up for you so it would be easy for you to order duplicates if you would like them. Both were a pleasure to work with.

Attachments

• C 14 decal.jpg
    C 14 decal.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 86
  • Capri seats.jpg
    Capri seats.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 95
  • capri cuddy.jpg
    capri cuddy.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 98
  • shroud quick disconnect.jpg
    shroud quick disconnect.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 87
  • quick release pin.jpg
    quick release pin.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 79
I am curious about the quick release pins. The slowest part of rigging and de-rigging for me is waiting for my wife to put in or take out the circular pin retainers. I have replaced them with nice new shiny easy for me to use ones but she still struggles with them.

My question is will the quick release pins come out accidentally? This would be catastrophic if they did.

I am curious about the quick release pins. The slowest part of rigging and de-rigging for me is waiting for my wife to put in or take out the circular pin retainers. I have replaced them with nice new shiny easy for me to use ones but she still struggles with them.

My question is will the quick release pins come out accidentally? This would be catastrophic if they did.

I am also curious. I've always read that using them on any standing rigging is a bad idea. Do these have some sort of more complicated action that would be safer than a standard push button pin?

I also use the push button pins on my boat. I was concerned that they might pop out so I drilled a hole in the end with the push button and now after inserting them I run a black plastic wire tie through the hole and then around the stay, tighten it up and clip off the bitter end. I see no way they can come out now. Problem solved. Note: these pins are around $25.00 each and they do not float!!!

Attachments

• Push button pin 1.jpg
    Push button pin 1.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Push button pin 2.jpg
    Push button pin 2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Push button pin 3.jpg
    Push button pin 3.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 81
C-14 decal

Hi, I believe that you helped me with my ladder and engine mount suggestions. I was trying to come up with a new boat name decal before I launched my (new to me) 1988 Mod 1 , so I was searching around the web for decal manufacturers when I located this company ([email protected], 1-877-252-0286). They were agreeable to create and print a small quantity of whatever it was that you could produce as a photo ready image. I found the logo on a sales data sheet. I think we changed the colors (to a red "C" and black numbers). I sized it up to cover the original Hobie image , and I had the C-14 printed on a white background decal to that it properly masked the whole Hobie "H". I believe it was something like is 5 inches tall by 7 inches wide. I looked through my emails but I couldn't locate the original quote number, but if you contact them they would likely remember this image they created. I can send you a private e-mail with a color pic if you can't copy if from here. The decal goes on "dry" ( you don't use any soapy water), so you have to get the alignment correct the first time you try to apply it. I had to remove some of the excess white decal from around the perimeter of the C with an Xacto knife so that it would more closely follow the football shape of the Bob. I did have a few wrinkles around the edges that I had to then cut and overlap so as to make it as smooth as possible. I then covered the cuts and the entire peritmeter with clear paint to seal it. So far in 2 months of exposure it still looks good. I think the 2 decals cost me $15, and now I don't have to explain why I have Hobie parts on my Capri.

I don't know if this is common knowledge, but one day I stumbled on the easy way to put on those pesky "ring-a-dings" -- put the inner part of the ring into the pin hole first. I was always trying (and trying) to get that outer part into the hole, which is pretty tough (for me) when the ring-a-ding is made of stainless steel.

Pull them off the same way -- i.e., back out the ring until the last part in the hole is the inner part.

BTW, I love your decal. I'm going to give them a try.

Back