I'm on top of the world!!!!

DragonFly

Just put a deposit down on my first boat. I'm 43 and been wanting a boat all my life. Have two little ones, 6 and 8, and want to get them out sailing on Lake Lanier before they think sailing's boring.

I was outbid on 3 other C-14's this spring, and wouldn't ket it happen a fourth time so I hit the Buy Now button on Ebay and I'm going to pick up hull #562 on Sunday...14 hours round trip...gonna be hurtin Monday at work, but it'll be a sweet hurt.

It's an '84, but the guy kept it in pristine condition (or I'll find out otherwise on Sunday when I see it in person) see pix.

Anyhow, I'm so jacked.

Earl

Congrats!!! I'm 45 and still think sailing rocks as do my 13 year old sons. Enjoy the sailing and memories that will last a life time.:)

Understand

I have my first 14.2, and I am older than you. Hoping for good water this Summer, ( and good pointers from the "other" sailors)
Congratulations, and I am sure you are smiling!!!

Congratulations

I saw that boat on Ebay. It looked like a sweet boat and very well kept. I bought my Capri 14.2 last spring and I love it. It was my first sailboat and I feel it is a great boat to learn to sail on. My son will turn 8 this month and he has enjoyed sailing. Good luck and enjoy your new boat.

Roger Lohrey

My son turned 8 last Dec....

....and my daughter will 6 in May. I want them to enjoy water and nature and respect it. I don't necessarily mind if they eventually want to go fast and yech-motor boat, but I want it in their blood that they are sailors.

So do most of you have a motor on your C14 or not? I am going to try going without one.

Back to kids, I have a problem with the established sailing community at large when it comes to the young ones we should be nuturing. If we want sailing to be a great sport, then we should do our best to give the young ones every chance to sail. The local boat clubs here outside Atlanta are so exclusive they make me sick; sure they have Opti regattas and racing for the kids, but its for the kids of parents who got the money. You have to own an Opti and be the child of a club member, and to be a club member, well that's another topic altogether. Ok, I digress into axe grinding too soon. I'm heading to Daytona Beach Sunday morning to get my boat!

Anyone here sail their Capri in Lake Lanier here in Georgia?

Roger Lohrey said:
I saw that boat on Ebay. It looked like a sweet boat and very well kept. I bought my Capri 14.2 last spring and I love it. It was my first sailboat and I feel it is a great boat to learn to sail on. My son will turn 8 this month and he has enjoyed sailing. Good luck and enjoy your new boat.

Roger Lohrey

Capri 14.2 on Lake Lanier

I'll be out there sometime soon I hope! That's if the weather ever warms up enough so I can flp her over and paint the bottom. A friend has a dock and he's offered to let me keep my boat in the water on his dock for the summer. Sure beats trailering -- now all I have to do is get her cleaned up and the minor repairs made . . . .

Maybe I outbid you?

I just picked up a 14.2 (1991) at Weathermark Sailing in Buford, GA, near Lake Lanier.
At 83 I'm a little older than most!
Lost my last 14.2 in IVAN in 2004, and had been looking for a while.
Sail at Orange Beach, AL, and soon up nearTraverse City, MI.
I find a roller furler is very useful when alone and the wind picks up!
Haven't capsized in a couple of years, but found the major problem was getting back in the boat! Not much upper body strength. Now I carry a collapsible gunwale ladder which on testing seems OK.
Have fun.

Got back at 3 AM from picking up boat

Left Alpharetta, GA (North Atlanta Suburb) at 10 AM Sunday and 970 miles, 17 hours, tour of some rich guys house who only owned the boat a couple months, and two trips to the Daytona Beach Wal-Mart with only moderate success at getting the tail-lights to work on trailer (Left one lit up when Ipressed the brake..that's it) later and I'm back with a fine '85 in tow.

I'm struggling to stay awake at work today, but its worth it.

The original owner, I find, was extremely meticulous. Notes from him were passed on by the seller. To say they were copious is a grand understatement.

I will be trailering her down to Indian Pass, FL this Saturday for a short Easter break, when I will be learning how to rig her. I hope to put her in one of the bays down there, and learn to sail all over again.

Oh yeah, it seems she already has a name, Hoopel? Well I will have to consult one of the many maritime traditions and figure out how to rename her to Dragon Fly.

Earl

Congratulations on your new boat!

Hey Earl,

guess I am one of the guys who bet you out on eBay. Great boat! You will have a lot of fun with your kids. I am having a kid too. By the way...

Ken

DragonFly said:
Just put a deposit down on my first boat. I'm 43 and been wanting a boat all my life. Have two little ones, 6 and 8, and want to get them out sailing on Lake Lanier before they think sailing's boring.

I was outbid on 3 other C-14's this spring, and wouldn't ket it happen a fourth time so I hit the Buy Now button on Ebay and I'm going to pick up hull #562 on Sunday...14 hours round trip...gonna be hurtin Monday at work, but it'll be a sweet hurt.

It's an '84, but the guy kept it in pristine condition (or I'll find out otherwise on Sunday when I see it in person) see pix.

Anyhow, I'm so jacked.

Earl

Check out the boat renaming ceremony by John Vigor. Congrats on the new boat. grew up on a c-15 and just bought a capri cyclone to go with the c-27. small boats rock.

DragonFly said:

Anyhow, I'm so jacked.

Earl

Earl,

Congrats. I lived in Newnan Ga. and kept a boat on Lake Lanier for 3-4 years.

Had many great sailing adventures with my girls.

Watch out for the lake because it is very large and weather can come up quickly.

M. Regan:

Back