I'm getting a new laser this week

Cenutrio

Sold my old 151396 for 3600 euros in Spain. This week I'm going to the dealer (I live in Utrecht, Netherlands) for a brand new one :)

Any advice?

his is in Euros, its its about a buck and a half/ 3/4 more than us

sounds bout right, for the used one

the new should be more

dont quote me on that, punch it into a converter

Here are some numbers for you:
The old boat sold for 4866.48 USD or 5844.15 AUD
The new boat cost 8291.87 USD or 10714.28 AUD
*Prices as of today via XE Conversion

The prices seem kind of high for a new one. How much tax is levied against that boat?

Just for comparison. Laser UK is selling the "race" Laser (XD kit etc) for £3785 (no trolley)
Thats $7500us or 9000AUD
More to do with the exchange rate than anything else cos everything always costs more here in the UK. (overpaying is a national pastime)

yea that sound right for the UK

and overpaying really is the national past time, forget cricket! get raped every time I go back...

UK/Europe is more expensive for most Laser stuff (boats, sails, etc.) - hence the amusement when people in the US keep posting about the "rip-off" prices they have to pay !!

Ian

It's not quite as simple as that. For example, the US federal minimum wage is $5.15. The UK minimum wage is £5.35, or around twice.

I agree, taxes are 19% :( The total for the boat in racing mode (Harken systems, carbon tiller, extension, covers (also for centerboard and rudder), and trolley 6,870 euros.

I'm gonna be broke for quite a while.

We checked 4 boats, mast postion, rudder/certerboard alignment, and hull shape. Also we measure the stiffness of a bunch of masts. All quite good, with very even numbers, I decided on a 189430. I'll pay this week and get it for racing next weekend. Hopefully.

I agree, taxes are 19% :( The total for the boat in racing mode (Harken systems, carbon tiller, extension, covers (also for centerboard and rudder), and trolley 6,870 euros.

I'm gonna be broke for quite a while.

We checked 4 boats, mast postion, rudder/certerboard alignment, and hull shape. Also we measure the stiffness of a bunch of masts. All quite good, with very even numbers, I decided on a 189430. I'll pay this week and get it for racing next weekend. Hopefully.

So that is a 19% sales tax on everything you buy? What sort of income tax to they have in Europe? The the US, typical income tax is 20-25% of income, with about a 5-6% sales tax.

Uk income tax starts at 20% and quickly rises to 40%. National insurance (compulsary, to pay for our "free" health service) adds another 9%. Sales tax is 17.5%. Some european countries (eg Sweden IIRC) are considerably higher than this.

I was looking at starting IT contracting last year (in France). Normal thing - you start your own company and your invoices go through your company and then you pay yourself. For every 1000€ invoiced the "company would lose around 50% in taxes and National Insurance/social charges. Then from the remaining 50% I could pay myself, which would then be subject to income tax and social charges (similar rates to those in the UK - you lose around 40% of what you pay yourself). In practice I would lose so much of what I earn it just was not worthwhile.

Then we have 19.5% sales tax.

Ian

I can't believe the taxes are that high! It would truly bother me to pay that much. However, I need to remind everyone that this is not the place for discussion of government economic and fiscal policy.

Thanks,

Yay!!! a new boat :) You got a really good price for your 151 boat, 5800 AUD for a boat of that age is really good money... BUT you'll lost it all one your new one, i think a new Laser standard or radial rig here costs about 9500 AUD with covers/dolly ready to sail so that costs a bit more over there in Spain. Happy sailing! :D

Back