ILCA 80?

ILCA 80 s

Hello, I just acquired a free sailboat , I believe it’s an ELCA 80
I have never sailed but like to give it a try ,not sure where to start
Did a little google search and it seems that this boat is a laser type boat ,
Just want to get on water ,not sure what kind of sailing that this boat offers
Just want to do a gentle touring type sailing , not sure if I want to be blowing in the wind with my body on a horizontal plain with just my feet touching boat
Any info ,advice ,knowledge ,experience,suggestions would be wonderful , Alex ,wanna be Sailer

Could you post pictures of this boat? (The more the better.) I did a search, too, and found nothing. Are you sure it’s not ”ILCA”, as in your username? That stands for International Laser Class Association, and is also the trade name for new Lasers since 2019 because of trademark issues (long story). Your boat is obviously much older if you got it for free...

Yes it’s ILCA 80 ,I think it’s a laser type boat ,pretty sure from browsing the web . I have the boat and hopefully the sail as soon as the prev owner brings it to me and that’s it ,will need everything else ,rudder ,the funny flat thing that goes down centre where the slit type hole is ,not sure what else till the sail comes ,hopefully with all the ropes and hardware. Thanks for reply

ILCA 80 is the model
No such thing to be found either. I have a feeling this simply is a regular Laser from the year 1980. But let’s wait for the pictures. Make sure to include ones of any stickers or plaques in the cockpit, and of an embossed code on the transom or a number under the bow eye in front of the mast. Any and all markings on the sail are informative, too.

the funny flat thing that goes down centre where the slit type hole is
This is actually a pretty good layman’s description of ”centreboard” and ”centreboard trunk” :D

_

Reactions: tag
Here’s the pics

Attachments

• D7A84D67-ABDC-4FDD-BF4B-0B90BC6A638D.jpeg
    D7A84D67-ABDC-4FDD-BF4B-0B90BC6A638D.jpeg
    629.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 99937EA0-DE04-42A8-B95D-21CF7EF45A88.jpeg
    99937EA0-DE04-42A8-B95D-21CF7EF45A88.jpeg
    585.5 KB · Views: 87
  • CC8D6AE1-432A-4843-9CED-80C5BFE6C713.jpeg
    CC8D6AE1-432A-4843-9CED-80C5BFE6C713.jpeg
    735.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 68C7D015-46E8-4059-9CDC-366912039BFF.jpeg
    68C7D015-46E8-4059-9CDC-366912039BFF.jpeg
    387.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 8CB65602-CBD0-420D-8C41-D85F30FBD8A6.jpeg
    8CB65602-CBD0-420D-8C41-D85F30FBD8A6.jpeg
    372.3 KB · Views: 91
That boat is a Laser. The sticker shows that dues were paid to the International Laser Class Association in 1980. ZFS means it was build by Performance Sailcraft. If it is missing the rudder, daggerboard and all the hardware, it is going to cost some time and money to get it in sailable condition. And you will need to be sure it is all properly installed - people here can help. When it gets windy, even with smaller sails you can get for Lasers, it will still be a wild ride. If you don't want that, you will want to said on light and moderate breeze days.

Yes, an old Laser with a mast step repair and an access port.
Make sure the port and the step don't leak.
And take a look inside the hull for hidden treasures
:)

Thank you guys for the info, the advice to sail on light and moderate breeze days seems up my ally. The wild ride may be later on down the road with experience . By the way what’s a “mast step repair”.Seems that the boat may be able to separate the top half from the bottom ,looks to be riveted on ,I hear some things rattling inside.Is that advisable ,Thanks

Just looked online $529.00 for some rope (cough ,cough) and hardware ,few other things.Must be gold threaded ropes ,lol

Just looked online $529.00 for some rope (cough ,cough) and hardware ,few other things.Must be gold threaded ropes ,lol

What items came with the boat? The pictures show a "bare naked" hull. No hardware, no grab rails, no hiking strap.... Honestly, if it's missing the mast pieces, sail, line controls and boards you'd be better off finding another used Laser for $ 2,500.00.

I saw this on shop.foghmarine.com website
Laser performance kit outhaul
Previous owner says will get me sail ,I guess any day now ,he doesn’t have the centreboard ,thinking I can make one doesn’t look that complicated

Last edited:
Yeah unless it is clear what it comes with and what is missing, don't mess with that boat. That's a hull for someone whose own hull just got trashed but has all the other pieces. Don't buy somebody else's problem.

That boat was built in Montreal not later than early 1979. If you had included the whole transom code in the picture we'd know even the month :rolleyes: And it's not an "ILCA" except in the sense that it belongs to the same class as new (post-2019) Lasers that are marketed as "ILCAs".

what’s a “mast step repair”.
The trapezoid shape around the mast hole means that the mast step and the deck next to it have broken and been repaired at some point. The material inside that shape is a replacement piece. The good thing about that is that the "new" step is not as likely going to break again.

Seems that the boat may be able to separate the top half from the bottom ,looks to be riveted on ,I hear some things rattling inside.Is that advisable
Loose material inside the hull is fairly common and not a problem.
Could you post pictures of the riveting, where it is, and the deck/bottom seam (from below)? This could be something serious.

Just looked online $529.00 for some rope (cough ,cough) and hardware ,few other things.
So you mean this cunningham/outhaul upgrade kit: Laser Performance Laser® Performance Kit Outhaul | Cunningham Harken Now you really don't need stuff that's that high-end, but as your boat lacks almost all fittings and all lines, you will be spending hundreds even on "budget"-level parts. Fogh Marine is the place to go to in your area, and I can help to make a list of what you really need to get you on the water, but as said, you can forget about your boat being "free".

The big problem is if you lack any (or all) of the "big" parts: spars and foils. New ones are most likely totally outside your budget, even "cheap" imitations. Your best (well, only sensible) chance is the second-hand market. Fogh may be able to help with this, too, but your regional Laser class organization is what I'd contact. You should also get in touch with a local yacht club to get assistance not only with the boat itself, but the whole process of learning to actually sail it!

_

Last edited:
Think I’ll just buy some paddles for it , have 3 hp motor ,make a transom for it to get me on water ,Thanks

They row well. You'll need some outriggers though. Outboard will be trouble, backend not buoyant enough with you and motor at the back.

Thanks for help Riv , Think I’ll make my own sail just to do some gentle breeze sailing to learn ,Ive thought a little about it doesn’t look to be rocket science to make my own sail ,the previous owner still hasn’t brought the sail if he has it . He said the sail was at a friends and he would bring it to me . Let me know if it’s bad idea ,Thanks

Should I be concerned about history of this free boat , would there be an ownership recorded somewhere , Hope not stolen .

Here are the pics of the rivets (LaLi) asked about also shows bottom color ,looks to be orig paint , bone looking ,there is signs of cracking on paint ,looks to be stress cracks ,seems to be topical.Also bow looks to be repaired .Thanks

Attachments

• FB6D924E-2F1F-4B7F-AC23-29030DDF6464.jpeg
    FB6D924E-2F1F-4B7F-AC23-29030DDF6464.jpeg
    800 KB · Views: 62
  • 6F6B136E-1F31-46AC-B4C8-46013F07BE2F.jpeg
    6F6B136E-1F31-46AC-B4C8-46013F07BE2F.jpeg
    926.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 980403FE-FAE4-492A-A9D2-AC52E1E1031E.jpeg
    980403FE-FAE4-492A-A9D2-AC52E1E1031E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 67
  • 7EDEBAAD-9F67-4993-A3F7-DCE9C0697AF6.jpeg
    7EDEBAAD-9F67-4993-A3F7-DCE9C0697AF6.jpeg
    601.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 9F16F312-CEC3-43E9-8E35-B8F58D470002.jpeg
    9F16F312-CEC3-43E9-8E35-B8F58D470002.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 65
  • 003CA559-F637-45EF-A2D8-66CC70BE5990.jpeg
    003CA559-F637-45EF-A2D8-66CC70BE5990.jpeg
    476.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Probably not, but if you give the whole transom code, then we can try to look for something.

_
No offence but can’t supply for privacy reasons ,but I’ll check out myself some how ,if you have tips would be appreciated LaLi , Thankyou

Privacy...? Now this is getting too weird. You get a boat for free, you don’t (initially) know what it is (and apparently neither does the donor), it’s nearly totally stripped, it may or may not include a sail but nothing else, you’re afraid that it’s stolen and now you don’t want to say the whole sail number :confused:

The five digits following the ”ZFS” is the sail number. That’s the boat’s ”name” that you use to search for any history details (such as race results). Ask around local yacht clubs.

The gunwale looks ok, except for the ”dirty” repair job at the bow. The rivets may have been a help in fixing the seam.

The two damaged areas on the centreline near the bow need fixing. Have someone who knows fibreglass work to look at it.

_

Should I be concerned about history of this free boat , would there be an ownership recorded somewhere , Hope not stolen .

Class would probably not maintain any ownership history going that far back. If you are in the US, the state might have records of the hull number if it was ever registered (depends upon the state).

As for it being potentially stolen. I don't think I'd worry about that.

Was walking near boat in a certain angle off light and noticed bubbles on bottom can anyone identify what it could be ,it’s like the Fiberglass is bubbling

Back