Identifying the age of my minifish

matt gerry

I have been looking through some previous post for tips on finding out the age of my boat. I found an article that left me with the impression that the rolled edge is characteristic of a boat built in the mid 80s or later. Is this true? I am trying to learn this kind of stuff as I go so any infomation would be helpful. Thanks.

Matt,
If you are sure it is a Minifish, try Yahoo Groups Sunfish Sailor photos section (Other Fish). Also post the age question there. I believe they have a member that knows about the Minifish. In the photo section is a profile drawing of the Minifish that gives the Minifish specifications. If you have the serial number, even though Alcort made the Mini, a note to Vanguard "might" get you the info you want. Maybe there is someone on this forum who knows about the Minifish and can help you out.

If the boat you have is a Sunfish, the YGSS Files has a Sunfish age identification chart. It appears that rolled edges on the Sunfish were introduced in 1987.

Matt,

I too have a Minifish. I've only had it for two yrs. It came with a Sunfish daggerboard & rudder. I believe these parts were designed to be smaller on the Mini. Do you believe your wooden parts to be original? I'm presently trying to determine the ideal length for the daggerboard.

Al Courtines

Al, unless you are restoring the Mini, you are better off with the Sunfish parts. The Shadow style board introduced with the mini and copied in slightly larger size for the fish was undersized and also created a lot of tip drag as well in both the mini and sunfish. Any Sunfish dagger board (other than the Shadow board) and rudder will be apx the right area/size for the mini.

As for the mini they all came with rolled edges, JMHO, but that's where Pearson got the idea to use it on the sunfish.

Back