Iceboat w laser rig?

nsoles

First of all, thanks to all for such great info on this forum... I have been lurking here for a while and have recently made a purchace of a "classic" '73 laser from a friend of mine. I have been making repairs and upgrades with great success thanks to this forum. Keep up the great work. ;-)

Maybe this is WAAAAY out of the question for a die hard laser(er) but I can see the writing on the wall, and I won't have the time to splash my boat before the spring...

...so anyone build a simple ice boat using the laser rig? Tell me now if I should bag the idea before I talk myself into something crazy!

-nate

......bag it!!---a laser is designed to push a laser through water,so it's a MUCH fuller cut than you'd use on an iceboat----get some icescates and a Wsurf rig,or sumth'n,,or a 2m 2line kite.!

See now this is what I need to hear. I'll keep the laser rig on the craft it was designed for.

My mind is going off topic now, wind surf, kite surf in snow, bla, bla, bla...

I think I'll see what I can do about some cold weather lasering before the lakes freeze!

-nate

seamonkey said:
......bag it!!---a laser is designed to push a laser through water,so it's a MUCH fuller cut than you'd use on an iceboat----get some icescates and a Wsurf rig,or sumth'n,,or a 2m 2line kite.!

Looserlu that is totally awesome. I've always wanted to build a land yacht, I might just mount a windsurfer rig onto a skateboard or something.

Yahooo LU!
Nice picture! I believe that's what the Dr. ordered... Tell me more before you hibernate for the winter. Not that I could use it in Texas, but I used to live in the ice belt and that looks like it could go like the wind. I'd love to hear how you built it and how well does it go. You've got my vote for Laser devotee extradonaire!
Happy Lasering!
Fishingmickey
150087/178894/181157

JacksonAUS said:
Looserlu that is totally awesome. I've always wanted to build a land yacht, I might just mount a windsurfer rig onto a skateboard or something.

Wasnt the link in lu's reply of a boat on ice rather than land? But on your note, i've always thought about designing one, a land yacht, but always quickly tossed it when the thought of scaps and nasty bleeding after deathrolling on pavement = S

JacksonAUS said:
:D
Jackson, you might not have to invent all new. Look for a buggy from powerkiting (http://www.power-kiting.de/Bilder/Galerie/076.JPG) and try to mount an old Laser-rigg on it.... In Germany, at St.-Peter-Ording at the coast of the Northsea, professional beachsailing is tradition since lots of years (http://st.peter-ording.de/strandsegeln.htm). This vehicles are professional-landsailing-boats and reach up to 130 km/h (over 80 mph). I´m sure you also have them in Australia.

Unfortunately on my area of the globe the weather is not stable (we have here nearly the same humid-weather like at Great Britain in the winter), but sometimes it is cold enough for skating. Then, on my tiny little lake I live nearby, the hole city seems to be on the ice, also some crazy (laser-)sailors with a (club-)windsurfersail mounted on a blade with steel-runners under it.... (just the same like the really-famous-big outdoorpatry "Alster-Eisvergnügen" on the frozen Lake/River Alster in the mid of Hamburg). This ice-windsurfers are fast, but by far not as fast like professional DN-iceboats or isabella-ice-vehicles.

Because since one year I have some experiance in building Laserdollies, I really like to construct a small icevehicle - of course with my old grandfathered Lasersail :)
Like the "King of home-improvement Tim Taylor" (;)), I think, I only need my Binford-5100-power-tools/some wood/some bolts/some lines+blocks/some steel-blades and a piece of an old plastic-chair... and lots of time in the carport...But first I have to pre-construct all in my brain...maybe during my wintersleep until X-mas or so...
I´m sure, Geoff can give us tons of advices. He´s a real pro in DN-Iceboat-racing (and constructing). Of course I allready posted him that Laser-pic above, as soon I found it in the web.
Good winter ääh summer all there on your side of the globe. Don´t forget to go to your coast and see how the Vendee-Globe-Racers are surfing through your waves (they are allready on the run to cross the Equator-line in several days and they are really fast in the moment)
LooserLu

mm, they pass no where near us aussies, you can't see them from land, they stick as far south as they can, now if we could just get into on of the RAAF Orions that wil be flying down there to check on the boats, then we'd be able to see 'em but i think it would be hard for us to get on an orion. but we do have an aussie entry in it so there!
GO NICK, GO KICK SOME ARSE!!!!!!!!

Back