I waterlogged my sunfish AHHHH

joy664

Hey, guys so I completely waterlogged the bow of my sunfish. I left the plugin and water leaked into the front part of the hull. I plan to drill an inspection port in the front of it to drain it. Should I start looking for a new one? I've heard you can never get it back to its original weight and I am a small 5'4 girl. It was just heavy enough for me to handle myself already haha. Please send adviceee I'm devastated.

It will take a long time to reduce the water-weight that has soaked into the Styrofoam "glue". I expect all of the water can be removed, but it will take weeks—not days—to accomplish. One or two ports, one or two fans, and heat will speed up the process.

You don't have to buy pricy inspection ports. Canal boat ports will work—for one-third the money. That said, a 6-inch inspection port, installed ahead of the daggerboard slot "opens up" some options. :cool:

A Minifish weighs only 95 pounds, and sounds more suitable for you than a 130-pound Sunfish. Same amount of fun—maybe more! :D

Good suggestion from L&VW, might wanna unload the Sunfish and buy a Minifish, which is WAY easier to handle if you are NOT Hulk Hogan, dolly or no dolly. I used to cartop my Minifish, homemade dolly in the trunk to get the boat from the car to the beach, and vice versa. Nothing wrong with a Mini, just ask Breeze Bender, lol... another devoted Mini sailor. My old Mini was a blast, very fast for this full-grown sailor... for someone your size, it'd be a rocket on the water. Of course, you can always dry out your Sunfish hull and take steps to ensure that it doesn't get waterlogged again... ugh. Lug that heavy waterlogged hull around for a while, and you'll soon look like Ah-nold Schwarzenegger, biceps the size of Rhode Island, lol. :confused:

Are you sure it’s waterlogged? Water needs to sit in the hull for a long time before it’s absorbed. Have you tried turning the boat on it’s side and draining water from the deck drain? Don't cut ports unless you know you have to!

Damned good advice from BB... round here, we "drain" hulls with Henry 'Golden Boy' rifles, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :eek:

Yesiree, those Henry rifles helped to open the Wild West, no reason why they can't open a lousy stinking Sunfish hull, LOL... ;)

Now, if I had to shoot my old Laser [#2069] with a Henry rifle, I'd have a hard time doing it... sentimental value, of course. :rolleyes:

It's tough to man up and BLAST beloved objects with high-caliber weapons... anything or anybody else, no problem. :cool:

Meh, let's not discount the old Winchesters, Remingtons, Colts, etc., they all helped to open the historic Wild West, no doubt about it... :confused:

Y'ALL BE GOOD, I'M HELLER DRUNK & I'M GONNA CRAWL INTO BED HERE PRONTO... HASTA LUEGO, YOUSE NAUTICAL HEROES!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Last edited:
Hey, guys so I completely waterlogged the bow of my sunfish. I left the plugin and water leaked into the front part of the hull. I plan to drill an inspection port in the front of it to drain it. Should I start looking for a new one? I've heard you can never get it back to its original weight and I am a small 5'4 girl. It was just heavy enough for me to handle myself already haha. Please send adviceee I'm devastated.
'Assuming a fiberglass Sunfish and not a wood one? :confused:

When you say it leaked from the front part of the hull, do you know where the leak is?
And in what position was your Sunfish stored when the water was accumulated?

Did you have a weight of the hull in the original condition before it got waterlogged?

A few pictures would be very helpful

Annnd Yes, I agree with Breeze Bender, waiting to cut out the inspection ports until the forum helps you sort this out.

Consider this, a dolly either purchased pre- made or homebuilt one will shift the whole thing for you, it did for me, it makes it super easy to move the Sunfish around, you’ll be so pleasantly surprised

Last edited:

Back