I wanna buy a sailboat.

Hey everyone. :) I'm sort of a sailing n00b looking to buy a cheap used sailboat. I used to sail my grandpa's Sunfish about five years ago, but since he died I havent been able to sail at all. I really miss it. I went sailing this weekend and now and I'm thinking about getting into it again, and I want to buy a sailboat. I really don't know much about buying a sailboat so I'm looking for some tips on where to look, and what to look for. There's a guy down the street who has an old sunfish that he wants 80-100 dollars for, but with the condition of the boat, I'm not sure it's worth it. It's been sitting since 74, it has all the rigging except the tiller, but I'd be suprised if any of it didn't need replaced. It has a hole in the bottom that needs patched, and I'm sure it needs to be re-sealed and all that stuff. The nice thing is that it comes with a trailer, and it's less than three miles from my house. I dont know if that is a good deal, but I dont know how to find a better one if it's not. What do you guys think? I appreciate the help!

Thanks. :) Now, how much am I looking at spending to get this thing in sail-able condition? I need, a rudder, tiller, sails, ropes, patched hole in the bottom, and paint/sealant... And probably a new daggerboard as well, because this one is pretty old.

Thanks. :) Now, how much am I looking at spending to get this thing in sail-able condition? I need, a rudder, tiller, sails, ropes, patched hole in the bottom, and paint/sealant... And probably a new daggerboard as well, because this one is pretty old.
Beats me: except for the sail and "ropes", I'd be constructing everything else.

Just to get a sail, it might be worth looking for an entire used Sunfish in good condition and scrap this original one—saving the metal and wood hardware for spares or trades.

I'd go one-better, and cut out a few squares of the old hull and deck for reinforcing any needed Sunfish repairs later. (If it's of fiberglass construction, that is).

The hole is just sandpaper, brushes, and a West® fiberglass kit to fix it.

Forget paint: the finish may polish out with an "aggressive" compounding paste available at NAPA for $12. The tiller's not a problem to build.

Daggerboard options are right on this very page!

Is the rudder totally missing? No wood? No metal? Nothing metal attached to the transom? :eek:

If the sail is missing as well, your best economic move is a good used Sunfish. The sailing season for most of us is coming to a close—and a great time to shop. Try Craig's List for your region. :cool:

Back