I Think I Accidentally Started An Alcort Museum...

signal charlie

Staff member
My backyard looks like an Alcort museum, picked up 3 boats to add to the restoration queue, a 1963 wooden Sunfish, a wooden Super Sailfish with elephant ear rudder and a 1962 fiberglass Super Sailfish MKII. I guess all I need now is a 12 foot Sailfish to go with the other fiberglass and wooden Sunfish.
So if anyone needs a history lesson or has a Sailfish,, swing on by :)

Sailed the Super Sailfish, it weighed 140 before sailing, it took on a lot of water and we are draining it. It may have been built from plans. Sailed the Super Sailfish MKII, it weighed 138 before sailing, so is the foam water logged? Wikipedia says they both should weigh around 100 pounds? Leak checked the Sunfish, it weighed 150 before the water and we got a little water in the bow compartment that drained out of the deck drain. It has a deck drain on each side, one for the bow compartment and one for the stern compartment. The water leaked into the cockpit from behind the frames, so we will be revealing that down the road.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    955.1 KB · Views: 126
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    716.5 KB · Views: 123
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    973.4 KB · Views: 128
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    640.8 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    822.7 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    730.2 KB · Views: 129
Interesting collection of boats. Out of curiosity, in the picture with the 3 boats, is that a Day Sailer II in the background.

John

Interesting collection of boats. Out of curiosity, in the picture with the 3 boats, is that a Day Sailer II in the background.

John

Yes, that's a Day Sailer II, another 1960s fiberglass Sunfish under a tarp, 1984 Sunfish leaning against a tree...

I sail a Day Sailer II most of the time, thought that stern looked familiar. Trying to get familiar with Sunfish before I start trying to restore an older boat. I haven't sailed a Sunfish in 30 years.

John

The MKII is a blast, I spent half the time with my legs dragging in the water. The wife likes it so we are keeping it, restoration queue is shrinking. Probably keep the Super Sailfish and fix the leak so I can chase her....
So so far she has good boat with nice sail, I have leaky crate with no sail....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    955.1 KB · Views: 104
SuperSailfish, Super Sailfish MKII and wooden Sunfish have the same size rudder assembly vertical plate.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 92
Wikipedia is wrong. Hull weight has mostly been 128-130 except for Pearsons and current LP hulls around 120-122 when new from the factory. Patience and air flow will get it down (fan, light bulb inside (or other gentle heat source), heated garage/basement for the winter with air flow, trip through the desert, etc.). See Yahoo!Group Sunfish_Sailor for tons of info.

H
Wikipedia is wrong. Hull weight has mostly been 128-130 except for Pearsons and current LP hulls around 120-122 when new from the factory. Patience and air flow will get it down (fan, light bulb inside (or other gentle heat source), heated garage/basement for the winter with air flow, trip through the desert, etc.). See Yahoo!Group Sunfish_Sailor for tons of info.

Hi Gail, I should have been more specific, I was referring to the fiberglass Sailfish, I've run across several references that cite 98-100 pounds. 140 seemed high for the MKII.

Kent

Back