I sold my 14.2 today. =~[

Winston29

Well, it’s done and she’s headed to her new home in Sebastopol, Ca.

Considering all the time and money I’ve invested (DUMPED) in this boat, I took a MASSIVE financial hit on the sale, but I’m glad to see it go.

It was a great boat, but I just wasn’t using it, and it had the unpleasant habit of leaving me in pain every time I sailed it.

It’s been fun interacting with the other members on this board.

~ W

Attachments

• B41798C4-2AF9-4D99-BCFD-6177395D51C7.jpeg
    B41798C4-2AF9-4D99-BCFD-6177395D51C7.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 110
Bummer that ya had to unload her... maybe that sailing kayak ya mentioned would be easier on the ol' back, given the seating arrangement. And I say that as an older hand with things falling apart as I speak, LOL. Good luck to ya in this Brave New Third World!!! Cheers!!! :cool:

... maybe that sailing kayak ya mentioned would be easier on the ol' back, given the seating arrangement.

I thought about it. I did LOTS of research on the Hobie forum and YT, then I found a few and arranged to see them, but in the end I decided to take a break from sailing.
I love it, but it's a PITA having to drive 35 miles to get access to my boat, then have to rig, launch, sail, land, wash, de-rig, park it and drive 35 miles home. Ugh! It really "took the wind out of my sails" having to deal with that every time.

It also turns out that the Adventure Island doesn't sail upwind or downwind well at all, and requires a broad or beam reach to move across the water.
That might not be a big deal for someone sailing the ocean in FloriDuh ;) , but the creek where I sail is narrow and busy, so you run out of room very quickly between tacks.

It's terribly disappointing, but it's done and I'm taking a step back to better consider what I think I should do next, instead of jumping in with both feet, without enough forethought, like I did this time.

~ W

Oh wow they have a long drive back! Your boat looks really nice. I wish I had started looking sooner. I just bought a 1987 14.2 from a guy in Sarasota.

I know that has to be a bittersweet feeling Winston. You took real good care of that boat and the new owner is very lucky to have found it. I hope you stick around, I am confident that your next boat is out there and that you will find it eventually. Best of luck to you.

The new owner is a real nice guy and keeps in touch. He's promised to get me some photos of her under sail on Donner Lake. :cool:
I never did get a picture of my boat sailing. :(

He sent me this picture a few days ago, showing the name he gave her.

Attachments

• IMG_3265.jpeg
    IMG_3265.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 96
"Weebles wobble but they don't fall down..." :rolleyes:

Er, probably dating myself with that advertising jingle, must be decades since I last heard it. :confused:

Despite the grisly history behind the Donner Party, Donner Lake is a nice little mountain lake, very scenic in that area, same for Donner Pass. In my "trucking daze" I would run Donner Pass every now and then, and it's one of the major grades in the country, right up there with Eisenhower and a few others. Always liked the lake views, they were an added bonus in the world of commercial sightseeing (i.e. paid tourism). ;)

"Weebles wobble but they don't fall down..." :rolleyes:

Despite the grisly history behind the Donner Party, Donner Lake is a nice little mountain lake, very scenic in that area, same for Donner Pass.

Seems like a pretty fitting name to me. I wouldn't call the 14.2 "tender", but she sure liked to heel easy in a breeze.

Donner Lake is very pretty. There's a series of snow sheds above the lake you can wonder through. Used to be able to ride motorcycles through them.

Nice... I always liked Donner Lake, it looked so fresh & inviting as I drove past it countless times in the big truck, LOL. :)

No half-eaten corpses bobbing around either... none that I could see, anyway. :eek:

Hey, man, I thought of you when I posted that Hobie sailing kayak ad a few days ago, but I guess somebody bagged it because the 'author' deleted the post... maybe that author decided to keep the 'yak after all. :rolleyes:

There will be others... and maybe one of those would get ya back on the water, aye? :cool:

Hey, man, I thought of you when I posted that Hobie sailing kayak ad a few days ago, but I guess somebody bagged it because the 'author' deleted the post... maybe that author decided to keep the 'yak after all. :rolleyes:

There will be others... and maybe one of those would get ya back on the water, aye? :cool:

Actually, I've decided to give the WindRider-16 a try. It's said to be much faster than the AT/TI.
The sail has a boom and battens, which, even though it's loose-footed, should help with sail performance and efficiency. It also has the furling mainsail design, like the Hobie. I like that a lot!

Fortunately where I sail 99.9% of the time, the use of a motor or Mirage Drive isn't necessary. Only the big boats that need to motor back into the tight confines of the marina use powered propulsion. Everyone using the ramp/docks just sails in.

No more uncomfortable seating.
No more hiking-out.
No more capsizing (well, probably not). :D

This isn't the boat I'm buying, mine is orange with a yellow sail, but it gives an idea of the design for those who aren't familiar with the name "WindRider".

That would be most of humanity living west of the Mississippi. :p

I may get some funny looks from the hardcore sailing clubs, but I don't care. I'm just thrilled to be getting back on the water, doing something I love!

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_101c.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_101c.jpeg
    613.2 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Oh, man, that quality hammock time in the yard was awesome... shadows started to creep, so I'm back indoors, but I scored a 'George Hamilton' tan in 45 minutes to an hour, LOL. Remember that "celebrity?" Had the best tan ever, outshone the Hawaiians & other Pacific Islanders, LOL. :eek:

Hey, that sailing 'yak looks NICE, and it would getcha back on the water... don't ever think I ain't JONESING to get back on the water here in the high desert, LOL. Hell, I could've taken TWO paid vacations from that last job, had they not let me go for hollerin' at some wanker for smoking near fuel, go figure... :confused:

I worked hard to get that filthy shop cleaned up too, not to mention getting 65 gas-powered golf carts running strongly the way they should've been running BEFORE I arrived, PFFFFFFFFFFT. Meh, it's ancient history now, plenty o' lawlessness & disregard for rules & regs in THIS election year, AYE????? :mad:

But I'm rootin' for ya, man, I know that's the way for you to go, having a nice comfy seat and outriggers or amas to keep things under control... more comfort, more stability, easier to launch, what's NOT to like??? And I'm hopin' you make it all happen, that's why I posted that Hobie sailing kayak ad. :D

Anyway, I gotta grab a fresh cold one outta the fridge and get on with my business, LOL. Man, that sunshine was nice, I haven't laid out in the hammock since spring. It's a sweet Pawleys Island Hammock too, you can Google those or whatever, they sure are comfortable... I've nodded off once or twice in mine. ;)

ALRIGHT, HAND, HANG IN THERE, THAT SAILING 'YAK YA POSTED LOOKS AWESOME, LIKE THE ANSWER TO WORLD PEACE EFFORTS, LOL... :rolleyes:

P.S. Many of those "hardcore sailing clubs" ya mentioned are NOT as "hardcore" as ya think, LOL... I reckon you have most of 'em beat by a country mile (on the water, of course, which would be 1.7 nautical miles, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!). I know you can do this with the sailing 'yaks, because "YOU DA MAN!!!" :cool:

Last edited:
Winston 29
I am new to the forum, but wish you well.
Have you thought about going to a larger boat?
Have you thought about marina storage?
I my long sailing career (what a joke) big boats are more comfortable. I have had a Hobie 18, Stinger 16 And a Etchells Class 23 30 foot. The bigger Boats are much more stabil. I live in Ft Myers on a canal water is all around. Marina’s will stow your boat and have it in the water waiting on you! Sorry to see you leaving!

Tom

Leaving the forum, but not leaving sailing. I picked up a 2001 WindRider 16 trimaran a few weeks ago (still haven't had it in the water yet, though). :(

I like small boats, not just because they tend to be faster than larger models of similar design, but because they're much more affordable to keep.
I pay just $50/month to store my boat in a secure, gated yard with cameras, bright lights and security guards.
Actually, all of that is really unnecessary as the area is quite safe and lightly populated. Most of the sailing clubs leave their dinghies sitting, unsecured, outside of the gates, and nobody messes with them.

The ramp is just 50 yards away, and there's a very nice wash area for when you take your boat from the water and want to rinse the salt off.

I chose this boat because, as a long-time kayaker, I liked the idea of a comfy seat you could lean back into, and steering with your feet was not only a familiar mode of steerage, but would keep my hands free for camera work. :D I've also just always had a thing for trimarans.

Now if the temps would just get above 40 degrees and wind could be a little more reliable........

Attachments

• CACr69bDR7Ks4FPB0ROwGA.jpg
    CACr69bDR7Ks4FPB0ROwGA.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 68
Nice... looks like a good choice, given your self-described situation. I hear ya about the weather, I'm clear down in southeastern Arizona and today marks the THIRD morning already where I've found ice in the birdbath. And it's only November 10... makes me wonder if we're gonna have a long cold winter after that long hot summer. One more reason I'll be glad to put this year 2020 behind me... :confused:

You're perfectly right about the low cost of keeping smaller craft, especially during times of economic uncertainty... better to have the small craft and still go sailing, rather than be forced to sell your boat because ya can't pay the moorage or slip fees. Moot point for me right now, but I hope to buy another small sailboat next year, gotta get back to work first... at least I have an interview in two days, which is better than nothing. :rolleyes:

I'm still in the running for other jobs too, including two gubmint jobs which have the same benefits & retirement plan I had earlier this year, but everything is moving so slowly due to the fake-@$$ plandemic that the year is just CRAWLIN', ya know? I'll be glad to retire this year's calendar and toss it into the trash, LOL. Not exactly the most stellar year I've ever had in my life, including losing a gubmint job (with good benefits) for ALL the wrong reasons... :mad:

Meh, I'm a survivor, I've lasted this long so it'll take more than this political bull$h!t to ruin my life... I'm watching a beautiful sunrise right now and life could be worse. Actually, the sun is already over the Dragoons, but that glorious morning sunshine is streaming through the sliding glass door and brightening my home. Stay positive, brother, hopefully you'll be on the water soon enough... maybe a 'stealth voyage' under lockdown, LOL. :eek:

KEEP A WEATHER EYE OPEN FOR THE LOCKDOWN POLICE... NO NEED TO CONTRIBUTE TO THEIR 'WIDOWS & ORPHANS' FUND, LOL. ;)

Last edited:
No lockdown here, keeping me off the water. Just my refusal to follow the old saying "measure twice, cut once". :p

When building the trailer to fit the boat, I (stupidly) thought that a 6' tongue would be more length than I needed to reach the water.
So I cut 2' off BEFORE testing it in the water! Aaagh!

Actually, that lost 2' probably wouldn't have been enough, but it still irks me that I cut it before I knew for sure what I needed.

I've got about three different ideas for how I want to make a tongue extension, but I'm reluctant to make any of them until I try simply pushing the boat back on the trailer-bunks, prior to launching. My hope is that it puts the boat back far enough to float off the trailer. Then I'll just winch it back on with the winch and winch-post I just bought.

I like the idea of putting a 3' or 4' folding tongue extension on the trailer, but I fear if I do, the boat will simply float on and off the trailer, and the money I just spent on the winch will be wasted. It sure would make my life easier, though.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_107a.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_107a.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 60
Here's a better, more current photo of the new boat. Taken Friday the 13th of November.
This is the first time the boat has been in water since it was built. :eek:

I really feel I should have done more than just shove it off the trailer. Champagne broken over the bow, perhaps? :p

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1093.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1093.jpeg
    641.1 KB · Views: 73
Bottle o' beer would work... boat looks good, I think she'll do the trick as far as the back pain is concerned, plus you can probably style out that seat, or upgrade it to something REALLY comfortable, LOL. :rolleyes:

You should be able to extend that trailer tongue without too much hassle, it's not like you're dragging a 53' wagon full o' lead solder waste, 10-4? Just choose metal up to the job, and fabricate your own extension... I have faith in ya! ;)

At least you'll be getting back out on the water, which is ALWAYS a plus... moi, I'm a Cancer in the Western Zodiac, so I'm a 'water sign' and I belong out there, but here I am in the high desert, go figure. :eek:

Meh, life could be worse, I could be in Compton, North Philly, or the Lower Bronx, LOL. Everything is relative, you see... damn, if I hadn't lost that gubmint job for all the wrong reasons, I could've ALREADY taken TWO weeklong paid sailing vacations in Dago, GRRRRRRRR!!! :mad:

Oh, well, that's the way it goes, nobody ever said life would be fair... I'm doing my best to move forward and possibly score another gubmint job, this time with the county, which has all the same benefits and the same excellent retirement program. :D

All that aside, do you plan on using that trimaran 'yak to do some fishing? Not necessarily while sailing, just drifting at times and tossing a line out there? I suppose you could troll while sailing, that might get interesting... enjoy a sail AND get dinner, LOL. :)

Well, I'm back to my cold beer, first one of the day since I got all torn up last night... had to bring on some stress relief, don'tcha know? WTF, alcohol is legal, as long as you're not driving or making a fool of yourself in public... Arizona voters even passed a recreational weed bill this election, LOL. :cool:

Edit: Does that tri have pedal steering? I can't really tell from the photo, or I'm not looking hard enough... :confused:

Nope. No fishing will be done while in or on the boat. Just lots of sailing, and maybe a little lounging on the tramps. And it turns out the tongue is long enough to launch and land the boat, just the way it is. I'm not saying that more length in the tongue wouldn't be a good thing, just that it will work the way it is.
I really don't want to throw more money at this project than I absolutely have to.

As for the seat... It will do fine. It's basically a sit-in kayak seat, just like all the seats I've had in past kayaks I've owned.
I had to do a little trimming of the plastic hip pads to make it roomier, but that was a lot easier than replacing the seat all together.
The seat pan is form-fit to the hull and keel, and while I don't know if it provides structural support, I thought it best to leave it in place.

In the pic with the trailer, my rear bumper is just touching the water and about 6" of my rear wheels are submerged. The exhaust tip is bubbling, just below the surface. :p

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_10b0.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_10b0.jpeg
    788.9 KB · Views: 59
  • fullsizeoutput_104b.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_104b.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 62
  • fullsizeoutput_1061.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1061.jpeg
    685.5 KB · Views: 68

Back