What's new

I sold my 14.2 today. =~[

Winston29

Well, it’s done and she’s headed to her new home in Sebastopol, Ca.

Considering all the time and money I’ve invested (DUMPED) in this boat, I took a MASSIVE financial hit on the sale, but I’m glad to see it go.

It was a great boat, but I just wasn’t using it, and it had the unpleasant habit of leaving me in pain every time I sailed it.

It’s been fun interacting with the other members on this board.

~ W

Attachments

Cactus Cowboy

Bummer that ya had to unload her... maybe that sailing kayak ya mentioned would be easier on the ol' back, given the seating arrangement. And I say that as an older hand with things falling apart as I speak, LOL. Good luck to ya in this Brave New Third World!!! Cheers!!! :cool:

Winston29

... maybe that sailing kayak ya mentioned would be easier on the ol' back, given the seating arrangement.
I thought about it. I did LOTS of research on the Hobie forum and YT, then I found a few and arranged to see them, but in the end I decided to take a break from sailing.
I love it, but it's a PITA having to drive 35 miles to get access to my boat, then have to rig, launch, sail, land, wash, de-rig, park it and drive 35 miles home. Ugh! It really "took the wind out of my sails" having to deal with that every time.

It also turns out that the Adventure Island doesn't sail upwind or downwind well at all, and requires a broad or beam reach to move across the water.
That might not be a big deal for someone sailing the ocean in FloriDuh ;) , but the creek where I sail is narrow and busy, so you run out of room very quickly between tacks.

It's terribly disappointing, but it's done and I'm taking a step back to better consider what I think I should do next, instead of jumping in with both feet, without enough forethought, like I did this time.

~ W

Stepclimb

Oh wow they have a long drive back! Your boat looks really nice. I wish I had started looking sooner. I just bought a 1987 14.2 from a guy in Sarasota.

Gray Young

I know that has to be a bittersweet feeling Winston. You took real good care of that boat and the new owner is very lucky to have found it. I hope you stick around, I am confident that your next boat is out there and that you will find it eventually. Best of luck to you.

Winston29

The new owner is a real nice guy and keeps in touch. He's promised to get me some photos of her under sail on Donner Lake. :cool:
I never did get a picture of my boat sailing. :(

He sent me this picture a few days ago, showing the name he gave her.

Attachments

Cactus Cowboy

"Weebles wobble but they don't fall down..." :rolleyes:

Er, probably dating myself with that advertising jingle, must be decades since I last heard it. :confused:

Despite the grisly history behind the Donner Party, Donner Lake is a nice little mountain lake, very scenic in that area, same for Donner Pass. In my "trucking daze" I would run Donner Pass every now and then, and it's one of the major grades in the country, right up there with Eisenhower and a few others. Always liked the lake views, they were an added bonus in the world of commercial sightseeing (i.e. paid tourism). ;)

Winston29

"Weebles wobble but they don't fall down..." :rolleyes:

Despite the grisly history behind the Donner Party, Donner Lake is a nice little mountain lake, very scenic in that area, same for Donner Pass.

Seems like a pretty fitting name to me. I wouldn't call the 14.2 "tender", but she sure liked to heel easy in a breeze.

Donner Lake is very pretty. There's a series of snow sheds above the lake you can wonder through. Used to be able to ride motorcycles through them.

Cactus Cowboy

Nice... I always liked Donner Lake, it looked so fresh & inviting as I drove past it countless times in the big truck, LOL. :)

No half-eaten corpses bobbing around either... none that I could see, anyway. :eek:

Hey, man, I thought of you when I posted that Hobie sailing kayak ad a few days ago, but I guess somebody bagged it because the 'author' deleted the post... maybe that author decided to keep the 'yak after all. :rolleyes:

There will be others... and maybe one of those would get ya back on the water, aye? :cool:

Winston29

Hey, man, I thought of you when I posted that Hobie sailing kayak ad a few days ago, but I guess somebody bagged it because the 'author' deleted the post... maybe that author decided to keep the 'yak after all. :rolleyes:

There will be others... and maybe one of those would get ya back on the water, aye? :cool:
Actually, I've decided to give the WindRider-16 a try. It's said to be much faster than the AT/TI.
The sail has a boom and battens, which, even though it's loose-footed, should help with sail performance and efficiency. It also has the furling mainsail design, like the Hobie. I like that a lot!

Fortunately where I sail 99.9% of the time, the use of a motor or Mirage Drive isn't necessary. Only the big boats that need to motor back into the tight confines of the marina use powered propulsion. Everyone using the ramp/docks just sails in.

No more uncomfortable seating.
No more hiking-out.
No more capsizing (well, probably not). :D

This isn't the boat I'm buying, mine is orange with a yellow sail, but it gives an idea of the design for those who aren't familiar with the name "WindRider".

That would be most of humanity living west of the Mississippi. :p

I may get some funny looks from the hardcore sailing clubs, but I don't care. I'm just thrilled to be getting back on the water, doing something I love!

Attachments

Last edited:

Cactus Cowboy

Oh, man, that quality hammock time in the yard was awesome... shadows started to creep, so I'm back indoors, but I scored a 'George Hamilton' tan in 45 minutes to an hour, LOL. Remember that "celebrity?" Had the best tan ever, outshone the Hawaiians & other Pacific Islanders, LOL. :eek:

Hey, that sailing 'yak looks NICE, and it would getcha back on the water... don't ever think I ain't JONESING to get back on the water here in the high desert, LOL. Hell, I could've taken TWO paid vacations from that last job, had they not let me go for hollerin' at some wanker for smoking near fuel, go figure... :confused:

I worked hard to get that filthy shop cleaned up too, not to mention getting 65 gas-powered golf carts running strongly the way they should've been running BEFORE I arrived, PFFFFFFFFFFT. Meh, it's ancient history now, plenty o' lawlessness & disregard for rules & regs in THIS election year, AYE????? :mad:

But I'm rootin' for ya, man, I know that's the way for you to go, having a nice comfy seat and outriggers or amas to keep things under control... more comfort, more stability, easier to launch, what's NOT to like??? And I'm hopin' you make it all happen, that's why I posted that Hobie sailing kayak ad. :D

Anyway, I gotta grab a fresh cold one outta the fridge and get on with my business, LOL. Man, that sunshine was nice, I haven't laid out in the hammock since spring. It's a sweet Pawleys Island Hammock too, you can Google those or whatever, they sure are comfortable... I've nodded off once or twice in mine. ;)

ALRIGHT, HAND, HANG IN THERE, THAT SAILING 'YAK YA POSTED LOOKS AWESOME, LIKE THE ANSWER TO WORLD PEACE EFFORTS, LOL... :rolleyes:

P.S. Many of those "hardcore sailing clubs" ya mentioned are NOT as "hardcore" as ya think, LOL... I reckon you have most of 'em beat by a country mile (on the water, of course, which would be 1.7 nautical miles, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!). I know you can do this with the sailing 'yaks, because "YOU DA MAN!!!" :cool:

Last edited: