I now own a Laser!--cold water question

henrikdagfinrud

I got my first Laser yesterday. 70's boat, but very well kept.

I have searched this forum, but can't find a good answer; does anyone have experience using a 5/3 mm wetsuit and dry top over that? Would that make it possible to sail in dry suit conditions? I am kind of hoping to get out on the water during easter, but I don't have a dry suit. We're talking below 40 degrees in the water.

What do you guys think? If I pick a calm day, would it be crazy to go out without perfect equipment?

Attachments

• Henting.jpg
    Henting.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 109
Re: I now own a Laser!

i wouldn't go out alone in those cold conditions. a buddy in another boat is always safer, especially for your first outing.

Do you already know how to sail?

I'm not sure what a 5/3 mm wetsuit is. When I dove in 55 degree water, I rented a 7mm wetsuit and it was needed.

Regardless, you shouldn't go alone with that water temp.

I'm thinking the short answer is no.

Congrats on getting a Laser! Be patient. You will soon have plenty of time to sail safely.

I've been sailing for all my life, though my last dinghy was a Europe some years ago. A 5/3 is a wetsuit with 5 mm body and 3 mm "flexzones". I was thinking about that and a drytop with solid layering. Of course with people in or near a motor boat for safety.

I guess I'll be looking for a drysuit.

I've been sailing for all my life, though my last dinghy was a Europe some years ago. A 5/3 is a wetsuit with 5 mm body and 3 mm "flexzones". I was thinking about that and a drytop with solid layering. Of course with people in or near a motor boat for safety.

I guess I'll be looking for a drysuit.

Yeah, I think your wetsuit is too light. I know people who wear their wetsuit inside of their dry suit when sailing in those water temps.

Anybody else who is experienced have an opinion?

I went into the water in November after bumping into some ice. I was wearing a shorty with 5mil bibs over them and a 5 mil jacket also booties and a wool cap. It took me 5 or 10 minutes to get back to shore. By then my muscles were stiffening up so badly I could barely move. I think another few minutes in the water and I'd be a goner.
If you are going in that cold of water you need a dry suit or survival suit!
You could just be patient and wait until the water warms up.

Barometer Soup

Your head needs protection, both from cold and trauma. Dont forget a wet suit balaclava, or, alternatively, our local expert ALwAYS wears a helmet when practising alone

Do you guys never go out on a calm day? I mean, I want to take this serious, but on a flat water day with a gentle breeze, do you never want to just glide around? And do you put helmets on to do that?

Another question: Have anyone tried the Typhoon Race drysuit? Is it ok?

Do you guys never go out on a calm day? I mean, I want to take this serious, but on a flat water day with a gentle breeze, do you never want to just glide around? And do you put helmets on to do that?

Another question: Have anyone tried the Typhoon Race drysuit? Is it ok?

This is the first I've heard of wearing a helmet. I guess it's not a bad idea when sailing alone, but if you are in light air, it would be surprising that you'd need it.

On the Question of the Typhoon Drysuit, I bought one a couple of years ago and have been very happy with it, we sail all winter and need it for those icy days. Managed to wear a hole in the seat and Typhoon repaired it under warranty. Quite impressed as they fixed it and had it back in a week, no hassle.

I would have thought a 5/3 suit would be fine, although I really dont know how cold 40 deg f is, as I'm a deg c lad!
Personally, in the south of england I wear a 3/2 in the spring and autumn, with a dry top over it, and keep warm enough! In mid-winter (around -2 to +5 deg air temp) I also wear a shorty suit underneath, and over-trousers, but thats pretty extreme.
I've never heard of anyone sailing in a 7mm, I think your movement would be too restricted.
I hate drysuits though, so I'm a bit biased!

I would have thought a 5/3 suit would be fine, although I really dont know how cold 40 deg f is, as I'm a deg c lad!
Personally, in the south of england I wear a 3/2 in the spring and autumn, with a dry top over it, and keep warm enough! In mid-winter (around -2 to +5 deg air temp) I also wear a shorty suit underneath, and over-trousers, but thats pretty extreme.
I've never heard of anyone sailing in a 7mm, I think your movement would be too restricted.
I hate drysuits though, so I'm a bit biased!

Just off the top of my head, I think that 40 degrees F is about 3 or 4 degrees C.

I 've just done a frost bite and nippy fingers series wearing a 5mm long john wet suit, with a t-shirt underneath the suit and a fleece on top, with a spray jacket on top of that with the neck done up on a snood and the wrists tightly done up on some full tribord sailing gloves. Wetsocks and rooster hiking boots on my feet and a fleece hat on my head.
We went out in winds often reaching 30 knts and wet over several times.
The only time I got even sightly cold is when I had to sit in the water for a while as the boat came round head to wind. The problem was that water snuck up one of my wrists giving me a bit of a shock to the arm pit!
Water temps were from 40*F up with air temps a little below that. There was always a safey boat on hand.

I 've just done a frost bite and nippy fingers series wearing a 5mm long john wet suit, with a t-shirt underneath the suit and a fleece on top, with a spray jacket on top of that with the neck done up on a snood and the wrists tightly done up on some full tribord sailing gloves. Wetsocks and rooster hiking boots on my feet and a fleece hat on my head.
We went out in winds often reaching 30 knts and wet over several times.
The only time I got even sightly cold is when I had to sit in the water for a while as the boat came round head to wind. The problem was that water snuck up one of my wrists giving me a bit of a shock to the arm pit!
Water temps were from 40*F up with air temps a little below that. There was always a safey boat on hand.

This pretty much describes my "serious cold" weather sailing gear. I also wear a thin thermal layer shirt. I usually end up sweating, but I have never taken a full dip in the water when it is under 50 degrees F either. I would imagine that if you are prone for a swim the dry suit would be the way to go.

go out in your 5/3 with buddy in motor boat and have fun getting stung by the cold water but itll warm up in the suit rather quickly if its a sunny day. Be sure you have good boots and gloves

Back