I need some advice?

Tilda

well, I've been sailing for almost a year (i'm only 15) and I love it! it's the best sport in the entire world in my opinion. but I am terrified of capsizing, I mean I know what to do when the boat capsizes, but it still freaks me out when it does. it's really beginning to effect my sailing, and I need some advice on how to stop being scared of the boat capsizing.
thanks. :)

Get out there and capsize first before you do anything else! Good practice and gets the worst out of the way.

Constantly remind yourself that as long as you know what you're doing (which you do), nothing bad can happen to you or your boat. As someone stated before, go out there and capsize a couple times when there's not much wind. Pretty much anything you learn about capsizing while practicing in low wind can be applied in high wind situations.

1. Be sure to wear clothing appropriate for the water temperature in case you do go for a swim.
2. Learn to dry capsize, if your boat allows that sort of gymnastics. Lasers and Sunfish do.

Can I ask if you have ever capsized before? If you had a bad experience then that's one thing but, if you've never capsized then it's probably fear of the unknown and then I totally agree with the other sailors = get out there and capsize until it doesn't bother you anymore.

Capsizing (or keeling over) is when a boat or ship is turned on its side or overturned. The act of reversing a capsized vessel is called righting.
If a capsized vessel has enough flotation to prevent sinking, it may recover on its own if the stability is such that it is not stable inverted. Vessels of this design are called self-righting. Intermediate sailors are encouraged to capsize their dinghy in a safe location with supervision at least once to become acquainted with their boat's floating properties and the capsize process. The boat should then be righted, bailed out, and the sails reset, so that in the event of an uncontrolled capsize, the boat and its occupants are familiar with the procedure and may self recover.

Being scared of capsizing is not a bad thing. It only makes you a better sailor. Racing the sunfish can take your mind off things that are scary too. That's what helped me when I started racing beach catamaran's.... Took my mind off of pitch-polling...

But I never got on a small sail boat without my life jacket.

I love sailing............but protection comes first, so i always used life jacket on a sail boat.

I know that this post is very old,but if you still reading this post than you can use my suggestions
Safe Boating Tips

Be Weather-Wise

Always check local weather conditions before departure; TV and radio forecasts can be a good source of information. If you notice darkening clouds, volatile and rough changing winds or sudden drops in temperature, play it safe by getting off the water.

Follow a Pre-Departure Checklist

Proper boating safety includes being prepared for any possibility on the water. Following a pre-departure checklist is the best way to make sure no boating safety rules or precautions have been overlooked or forgotten.

Use Common Sense

One of the most important parts of boating safety is to use your common sense. This means operating at a safe speed at all times (especially in crowded areas), staying alert at all times and steering clear of large vessels and watercraft that can be restricted in their ability to stop or turn.

Develop a Float Plan

Whether you choose to inform a family member or staff at your local marina, always be sure to let someone else know your float plan. This should include where you’re going and how long you’re going to be gone.

Back