I need educating please.

po-man sailor

I need as much information as you are willing to share on different products, their uses and comparisons with each other for cost and strengths. Keeping in mind my life theory is always do the job ONCE. No product expense cut if you are just going to have to buy it and repeat the job later. However as my handle indicates I still try to maintain a budget within reason.
First product tackle is THIXO. Is this comparable to old marine tex? Is it 2 part also? How does its sandablity and strengths and rigidity compare to marine tex. In my experience marine tex is the hardest thing known to man. If your not carefull you'll sand down your surrounding material before you shape your marine tex. LOL ...The only 3 products im familiar with are marine tex, fiberglass resin, and 3m 5200. Please compare new products now available to these.
Some of the task/uses im about to tackle are renewing/redressing mast cup, dagger board slot edges... top, bottom and inside, blind aluminum backing plate for deck cleat that pulled out (will use string method)
Please feel free to opine on your preferences and best practices. As usual I appreciate learning from others and saving myself some of their pitfalls...something I learned by listening to my father. Wish I would have done it more and younger.
Poman out...

Signal Charlie introduced me to Thixo. :)

A few years ago, I'd noticed a near-identical product, but had never tried West Marine's SIX-10. (Same colors, two-part, same small apparent volume, mixed with the same mixer, same application, same dispenser, same end-caps, same good results).

Now that I've tried both, I like saving a few bucks using Thixo. Marine-Tex has gone even higher in price, which makes Thixo an even better buy. :cool:

While a case can be made that Marine-Tex cures to a white color, the white finish will yellow from the sun. :(

I've sanded both, without noticing easier sanding of one over the other.

YMMV. ;)

Thanks lv. I looked and it appears to be several types of thixo flexible regular and wood maybe? Is that true and if so what is best for repairing redressing the mast cup and dagger pocket lips. Also on Amazon reviews I read a lot of complaints about the dispensing. Most people said they just took it out and mixed by hand. I have no idea how messy that could end up. And wasteful. Is it true? And if you don't use the whole tube is the rest wasted?

Another question. How does thixo..which is an epoxy go on or under fiberglass polyester resins? Is that asking for trouble?
No. It adheres perfectly, and is stronger than the polyester the Sunfish is made of.

I find it easy to dispense and mix by hand. (It's sticky and persistent—so wear gloves). The cap is "different", but you can match the ingredient's colors to seal it until your next use.

Member Signal Charlie has used the wood variant.

Thixo is so adaptable, I save little projects to use the last drop from the mixing container. (Mixing containers can be made from the ½-inch bottom of a plastic milk- or vitamin- bottle).

I tried to find out how the two products compare.

The shear strength is a measure of how well it sticks to something. I could not find one for Thixo.

My guess is Thixo is made for flexibility and is likely better for seams. Marine tex would be fine for like filling holes are rebuilding a section you need rock hard. I have not use thixo yet, but I have used marine tex and if the factory epoxy used in 2006 is like Thixo then I will say Thixo is softer.

The above is just my observations and guesses that could be very wrong.

Marine Tex:

COMPRESSIVE STRENGTH*:
Gray - 13,000 PSI (910 Kg/Cm2)
White - 8,700 PSI (610 Kg/Cm2)

ADHESION SHEAR STRENGTH*:
Gray - 1,800 PSI (126 Kg/Cm2)
White - 2,300 PSI (160 Kg/Cm2)

Thixo:

• Tensile strength: 5,330 psi
  • Compressive strength: 7,200 psi
  • Flexural strength: 8,800 psi

Good info.guys thanks.
I'd like to throw another product into the discussion. "Thickened epoxy" which I have no idea WTH that is. I just see it talked about and I saw a you tube of someone mixing some 2 part clear looking epoxy then putting a white powder they referred to as the thickener to it to a "penutbutter consistency". How is this stuff for the repairs and redressing I mentioned like mast cup and dagger slot lips. Is it durable or lighter weight than the thixo and marine tex or fiberglass resin products.

On a very hot day, even "slow-set" epoxy will start to go "peanut butter" on you.

On a windy day, more white additive will blow away than you can add to the mix! (I think my additive is West's 309).

Mixing is a lot of trouble, when Thixo IS "thickened epoxy".

The products you mentioned are sometimes interchangeable but generally are intended for different purposes. You're smart in learning the best products for the job. The Sunfish sees a lot of amateur repairs or those from beginners just learning. That's ok. For the most part, everything can be redone....or left alone if it works!....and/or doesn't leak! An old Sunfish is at a price point (many times free!), that it doesn't make sense to have it professionally repaired or updated. To many, that's half the fun. I work on boats for a living, so I try and "smile" at every job.

A frown is merely an inverted smile, lol... ;)

And Po-Man, your edumacation will be ongoing... :rolleyes:

In a way, sailing is like trucking... ya learn something new every day! :cool:

Last edited:
Sounds like clear epoxy adding thickener is just old school taken over by newer product like thixo ot west system. Really no need to use that I assume.(ASS.U.ME)

We found if you are already mixing epoxy and resin for a repair, the leftovers that would normally go in the trash can be utilized for some small areas by adding the silica or microbubbles before it sets up. It works well, was fairly easy to sand, and basically free since you already had it mixed. Worth considering.

THIXO is thickened epoxy that comes in a 2 part caulk cartridge, one part epoxy resin and one part hardener. A similar product is Pettit Flexpoxy. THIXO comes in several types, we use basic THIXO although we have also used THIXO Flex and THIXO Wood (colored with wood flour). All of the products mentioned work great, sandable, paintable, good for use below the waterline, structural, drillable. THIXO Low Viscosity (LV) is like regular mixed epoxy and needs to be thickened. Basic THIXO will work for all the uses you mentioned, and can also be used to attach Hardie plank siding repair to my house. I feel it is a little easier to shape then Marine Tex, similar experience with sanding surrounding material. THIXO is usually shipped with spare mixing tubes, we leave the old tube on when we are done or put the cap back on, the material in the tube hardens but the material in the cartridge stores unmixed for quite a while, at least 6 months.

The key with the caulk tubes is to use an 18:1 ratio High Thrust caulk gun vs the cheapo 7:1 gun.

You can go Old Skool and mix resin/hardener/structural filler but for me it is messy and time consuming, and there is a chance to mix too much. It is cheaper that way though. Either method has the same durability and weight.

Epoxy will adhere well to polyester resins as long as the poly resin has been sanded to give it some tooth.

THIXO BARBASHELA.JPG

Newborn High Thrust Caulk Gun: A High-Thrust Caulk Gun - Small Boats Magazine

IMG_8921 2.jpg

How many folks knew about the cartridge tip cutter built into caulk gun handles?

IMG_9538.jpg

We are Ambassadors for TotalBoat and have a discount code for 15%. If you set up a TotalBoat account and order online, send us a PM and we'll share the code.

"Bare-bones Chinese caulk gun from Depot, no have cutter, no have pin... use cleaver to cut tip, chop down hard!!!" ;)

IMG_2154.JPG

IMG_2156.JPG

IMG_2157.JPG

Hey, it's a 'Newborn' gun, perhaps the cutter and pin have not developed yet, lol... :rolleyes:

Thanks SC. Very good info. Sounds like i need to locate 3 items to finish out my hull repair. Regular thixo and 2 part total boat fairing material and some other caulk gun besides the half dozen cheap ones I have around here.
I need to do as you suggested and take advantage of your discount code. What is the name or contact for the vendor?
Again thanks.

Po-man
TotalBoat is where we get our items Marine Adhesives
Either of these products will work, Thixo 2:1 Epoxy Adhesive System or Thixo Flex Thickened Flexible Epoxy Adhesive. Fast Cure gels in 10 minutes, Wood has dark wood flour added, and LV is Low Viscosity, good to wet out fiberglass cloth but very runny like straight epoxy.

The Newborn 250 18:1 caulk gun I got from TotalBoat's parent company Jamestown Distributors.
Jamestown Distributors

For the discount code you have to solve a riddle . I can't put it in the Forum because it will be stolen by bots. The discount code is two words put together. The first word is the opposite of large, 5 letters. The second word is the plural 5 letter word for a small vessel propelled on water by oars, sails, or an engine.

Or send us a private message :)

Random Photo. 1963 Alcort CHIP was repaired, new bottom, with THIXO and TotalFair. TotalBoat TotalPrime, TB WetEdge Blue Glo White thinned with TB Special Brushing Thinner and Interlux Brightside Largo Blue thinned with Interlux 333 Brushing Liquid.

311F21C8-9E8B-4C8F-B50C-0141FB6AC6AC.jpeg

Reactions: tag

Back