I need a training partner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ross B

School gets out for me around May 22nd, and I leave for Kiel the 21st of June. In between this time period I expect to be sailing 2 to 4 days a week training for Kiel, and I would like to have a training parter to sail against. To do the normal drills, rabbit starts, long upwind and downwind speed testing, the usual stuff. I would like to keep the same partner for an extended period of time if possible, so we can build a relationship, and work off each other, and if possible, attend the same regattas. Maybe some days, we can get some other people and do some group practice. If we choose, we can also go to the gym together. Once I get back from Europe, on the 6th, Nationals is the 8th, and I would like to keep a normal training schedule, we can work on that later.

This is a commitment! Serious inquiries only! This is the big show guys! I expect to be sailing out of Balboa Yacht Club, in Southern California. But I might consider training out of ABYC in Long Beach, if accommodations can be made.

Please contact me at [email protected]

Thank you.

*This is for Laser fulls, but but training against a Radial is not out of the question.

I would like to keep the same partner for an extended period of time if possible, so we can build a relationship, we can also go to the gym together. and I would like to keep a normal schedule, we can work on that later.

This is a commitment! Serious inquiries only!

What no one night stands? You're so old fashioned! It is sweet though.

Any time you can make it to South Carolina I'll train with you.

Hugs and kisses!:D

I would like to keep the same partner for an extended period of time if possible, so we can build a relationship, we can also go to the gym together. and I would like to keep a normal schedule, we can work on that later.

This is a commitment! Serious inquiries only!

What no one night stands? You're so old fashioned! It is sweet though.

Any time you can make it to South Carolina I'll train with you.

Hugs and kisses!:D

Knock it off, Rob. I know it is so tempting to razz Ross, but give him a break once in a while. Back to "normal" indeed.

Knock it off, Rob. I know it is so tempting to razz Ross, but give him a break once in a while. Back to "normal" indeed.

I'm just kidding. Not trying to be a snot.

I'd sail with him if I could get out west. I think he should do a US tour!

Look I'm sure it has to do with his age and enthuiasim. But his use of the words "this is the big show" just rankle the average reader because it's demonstrably not. He's finishing at the back of the pack in a regional regatta.

I'm sure having a training partner who can committ is important to him but Ross needs to leave out the hyperbole.

Look I'm sure it has to do with his age and enthuiasim. But his use of the words "this is the big show" just rankle the average reader because it's demonstrably not. He's finishing at the back of the pack in a regional regatta.

I'm sure having a training partner who can committ is important to him but Ross needs to leave out the hyperbole.

Well when I'm hiring my coach that costs more than you make at McDonalds that month, it's a pretty freakin big deal!

Back on topic and more helpful. Have you contacted and of the registered laser fleets within a 50 mile radius of you?

You might have to go to the other sailors as opposed to them coming to you.

Back on topic and more helpful. Have you contacted and of the registered laser fleets within a 50 mile radius of you?

You might have to go to the other sailors as opposed to them coming to you.

Agreed.
You're talking about roughly 3.5 weeks. May 24 - June 18 or 19.(giving you a few days to pack and stuff for your departure on June 22).
So, what good regattas or fleets race on:
May 24-25, May 31-June1, June 7-8, and June 14-15?
Can anyone meet up with Ross on the Friday before these 4 weekends and help him train at the racesite? If not, how about some good days Mon -Thu
leading up to the regattas, then Ross could go solo to the regatta.
someone mentioned a Tour. Maybe a race circuit around Southern Cali visiting and sailing with a local fleet each week. Training is great, but you will need some aggressive big fleet experience to prepare for Kiel.

Thanks stick. I already have enough big fleet experience, so I'm good there.

Thanks stick. I already have enough big fleet experience, so I'm good there.

No disrespect intended, but your big fleet results do not back this up.

There is nor such thing as being "good" with anything until you're finishing first every time.

Well when I'm hiring my coach that costs more than you make at McDonalds that month, it's a pretty freakin big deal!

See Ross - now you got my ire up. You know nothing about me. But here's the scoop I'm an adult - highly educated, smart (didn't go to community college and got good/excellent grades despite skipping classes) and as a consequence highly sucessful. You on the other hand not so much. I'll be tracking your performance - the results so far haven't been anything to blog about...

I'm glad it helps you to sleep better at night by putting me down, and thinking your better then me. Congrat's

See Ross - now you got my ire up. You know nothing about me. But here's the scoop I'm an adult - highly educated, smart (didn't go to community college and got good/excellent grades despite skipping classes) and as a consequence highly sucessful. You on the other hand not so much. I'll be tracking your performance - the results so far haven't been anything to blog about...

I think you do not like Ross. Yes, his hyperbole rankles some people. There's a difference between narcissism and being hopeful. Because he is following through on the dream, he's hopeful, and I take the hyperbole as unbridled exuberance. Enthusiasm can be refreshing, and those who keep criticizing him just seem world weary/ tired to me. As you say, you are an adult, and as such, you could take the high road and be nice. You might even like it. Give the kid a break. He will find out through experience what is what.

I just want to point out that getting a training partner is not like a help wanted ad, usually its a friend around the same level as you and work together to get better and if not a friend then someone that will benefit from sailing with you for example sailor x is amazing downwind but bad upwind and sailor b is the oppisite then they'll work together to improve each others game. the point is that you need to find someone local to train with thats going to be competitive with you b/c blowing someone out of the water has little or no training value.

Not at all - but Ross is the one who chose to get personal. Oh well out of respect for you and the way this board is run I'll leave him alone but I'll have a godd chuckle reading his results...

He will find out through experience what is what.[/QUOTE]

I think the problem we are starting to get is that he is NOT learning from experience. The result is we are starting to tire of his refusal to take advice and his comments of "he's good with big fleet experience" when his most recent regatta shows he's anything but "good" with big fleet experience is begining to make us think he is out of touch with reality, refusing to learn from experience and wasting space here on the TLF.

Ross had a moment there about 2-3 weeks ago where he had a touch of humility and it served him well during that time, but it was short lived and this is the result of him going back to being a "Laser Savant".

He is looking for 1 training partner that will come to him and sail his schedule when what he really needs is to find multiple boats with sailors that are better than him to train with and he needs to be willing to go to them. Otherwise Kiel will yield the exact same result as his last event.

Lastly, I'm taking exception to the way Ross can throw personal insults at folks who are "direct" with their criticisms and you go after the critical folks, but it's ok for him to be personal about it?

Ross has shown that he really only wants to post his ideas and beliefs and does not wish to hear anything to the contrary. This is why he keeps his blog closed to comments. The TLF should not be Ross' personal blog spot as well.

He's 21 years old and a "big boy" now. I can't let him off on the "he's young" argument. Maybe if he was 16-18 or so, but even then it only goes so far.

thats it, merrily, close the thread, you guys have obviously had enough

OK.

One, I took the McDonald comment as a generalized comment, as in what one makes at McDonalds. Maybe that was wrong.

Two, he is a kid compared to all the people are criticizing him. Are any of you under 30? I didn't know my ass from a hot brick when I was 21, and I had been married for two years by then.

Three, Ross, you do have trouble listening. If someone gives a suggestion you don't like, there's no need to respond.

Four, yes he's obnoxious, but I'm fond of him.

Five, Ross has the large ego needed for an Olympian. Now if we can just get in the sailing. :D

If I lived near Ross I'd sign up to be his training partner just to get on O.C. gravy train. I'd need a new sail just to keep up with Ross and I just can't be seen in last year's sailing gear. Oh, and my old school vang would have to go.

I think that Ross is right. This thread is closed. It's pretty amazing to me that I have to close an ad for a training partner. I'm discussing the McDonald's comment with Ross.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back