I heard this trick when storing a Laser

thieuster

Last weekend we (a handful of Dutch Laser parents) had a nice conversation with a Laser parent from across the ocean. She told us that during the off-season the boat is stored in a basement with low humidity. They insert a small hose (5mm or so) into the hull, through the drain hull hole. The hole itself is not blocked with ducktape or similar when the tube is inserted.
On the 'business end' of the tube, there's a small electrical air pump, set on the lowest power output. With a timer switch, the pumped is switched on for a few hours a day, pushing air in and allowing the air to escape through the vent hole and the remaining opening of the draining hole. There's no raised air pressure inside the hull.

After a few months, the Laser is two kilos lighter than at the beginning of the storage period.

Any comments, suggestions or experiences?

Menno

Last edited:
Not a bad idea. I have always had the habit of just putting an inspection port in my boats. Then you can do the same thing with a fan much easier.

There is a bit in one of the Laser books (can't remember which one) that advocates a port in the front and one in the back ad to take the hatches off before cartopping it. The wind from the car's movement blows through and dries out the boat.

Most laser I know have PVC covers so the humidity under them must be pretty much 100%. So maybe the breatherable ones would create less weight gain

"Riv" is correct. It is a section of the (now-outdated) "New Laser Sailing" from sometime in the 70s or 80s that talks about those inspection ports-- I had them on my old boat. While I cannot attest to what this does for the weight of a hull, if you're storing the boat long term it's always best to have an open inspection port to let the internal humidity evaporate. I am not sure if the pump is necessary, but if its on low pressure I doubt it is harmful to anything.

Back