I have a sunfish now what

mtbiker1961

I bought 2 boats and there are some differences one boat has some cleats on the deck and splash guard. Also it came with an extra mast that I think may be an upgrade. I would welcome any advice on what I need to get the boats in the water. I also would like suggestions on guides or books that would help. I would also like to find a trailer that could carry both boats.

Attachments

• DSC_6800.jpg
    DSC_6800.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC_6801.jpg
    DSC_6801.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC_6808.jpg
    DSC_6808.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC_6813.jpg
    DSC_6813.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 98
You'll find a rigging and tuning guide for the SF on Laserperformance.com. From the picture you have posted, Il have seen three «errors». First the halyard: it has to pass first in the small hole just at the right of the mast, and then you attach it to the cleat. Second, the boom: it is a SF rule to have the boom to the right of the mast, so that the sail is not obstructed by the mast on starboard tack. Third, the sheet: it goes without saying to put the main sheet before you go on the water, so you can control the sail!

For more infos about tuning your SF for regatta or simply get more speed when sailing recreationally, I would suggest you to buy the Sunfish Bible, available from the Sunfish Class Association.

For general sailing, any book about learning to sail will be good. You might find some to borrow at your local library.

The extra cleats on the coaming an in the cockpit of the blue boat are for super sunfish riging. I would assume the extra mast thatyou thought was an upgrade is the super sunfish rig. A super sunfish has a rig similar to a laser instead of a lateen sail.

Blueberry, your confusing me. If the spars are on the starboard side of the mast then you will have the mast pushing into the sail when on starboard tack. If they are on the port side the sail will have it's proper shape (not counting the air flow disturbance from the mast)

First the halyard: it has to pass first in the small hole just at the right of the mast
...otherwise known as a "Bullseye" or "Deadeye".
1151.jpg

Second, the boom: it is a SF rule to have the boom to the right of the mast, so that the sail is not obstructed by the mast on starboard tack.
:rolleyes: Hmmm..., that must be your other right.

Looking forward...
Boat's Right = Starboard
Boat's Left = Port

You could mount the sail on either side of the mast by loosening the gooseneck and flipping it 180 on the boom. The handicap of disrupted airflow will be equal, just opposite.

The convention is to have the boom (and sail) lie to the port side of the mast. The bullseye is setup to support this arrangement by being offset on the starboard side of the mast. Route the halyard from port to starboard through the mast cap bullseye so it runs straight down the mast to the bullseye on deck.
IMG_3318.jpg

2009 Sunfish North Americas

...one boat has some cleats on the deck and splash guard. Also it came with an extra mast that I think may be an upgrade
I agree, the extra cleats etc. indicate that boat is a Super Sunfish. The bar pictured is the mainsheet traveler and fits in the cockpit. You can download a copy of the setup manual and an illustrated parts list for free from Sunfish Sailor:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sunfish_sailor

With respect to the title of this thread, it appears that you have two nice Sunfishes. And as Wayne and Alcort59224 pointed out, one must have been sold as a Super Sunfish. Regarding the latter, let me mention that it can be difficult and/or expensive to find the missing pieces (the rubbery attachments for the traveler, two-part mast, sail, etc.). Or maybe you have those?

There is a lot of info on this forum regarding trailers, including trailers for two. Just use the Search function and the Sunfish KB & FAQ section (the links are in the upper bar of the page) as a start.

Thank you Wayne for correcting me, the boom has to be on the PORT side. Sorry for the confusion.:(
Want to see a really "good" job of rigging, look at the Sunfish entry in Wikipedia... they caught the error, but the picture is still posted at the bottom of the page. Look at the full size image and see where the mainsheet blocks are.

You have two nice looking Sunfishes. I like the teal color in particular. Both boats look very clean. I expect they have nice bottoms too. Try to protect the bottom from scratches and the daggerboard from groundings, and these will look nice for years to come.

I recommend you try opening the drain plugs. These can freeze up. Don't leave them in place when stored unless you open and close them and lubricate them to ensure they don't freeze up. If they do, I'd pry them off gently with a chisel and replace them with plastic drains. The plastic one won't ever freeze in place and it makes it easier to drain water out of the boats.

You should install a clam cleat on the mast about 35" up from the base, inline with one of the halyard holes at the top of the mast. It is a much better arrangement for raising the halyard, although your present system is adequate.

You might want to install a quick release gooseneck adjuster--these are found on newer boats.

I also don't like the deck cleats you have on one boat. Removing them leaves four holes, so I guess I'd leave those also unless you are comfortable filling the holes with Gelcoat.

Basically it does not look like you need much of anything except a double trailer. There are a few interesting designs for Sunfish trailers online. Pick one where the boat is carried deck side down, or the boat is carried on edge. Both types will protect the vulnerable bottom of the boat.

Another option is to carry them on a roof rack. I transport one on a Volvo 240 with a Thule Rack. I use the same system on my Silverado but it is quite a bit higher and more awkward to load. Still, I can carry two in my pickup truck. One in the pickup bed and one on the roof. Two people can manage these boats easily, but it is hard for one person.

You need to be concerned about how to move these boats around from your vehicle or trailer to the water.

I also use a Sunfish Dolly to move them around.
SunfishDolly324.jpg

SunfishDolly323.jpg

Another option is a Seitech Dolly.

Seitech.jpg

If you can, store the boats indoors in the off season. Bag the sails and spars and always wash and dry the sails after use and they will last for many years.

The Sunfish Bible and the internet are good sources for more information. Good luck.

Thank you all for the info. I am glad you pointed out the drain holes I saw them and being on top it did not occur to me what they were. I bought the boats for my grandsons, but it will be a few years before they are old enough to single hand the boats. They are 6&7 years old. So I have some time to get them in shape. I would like to get one ready to go and try it out. I have a hobie 16 that I bought last year and have had a ball on that but would love to be able to use the sunfish on days that I can't find a crew. The hobie is a pain to single hand and I do not weigh enough to right it myself. How will the sunfish handle on Lake Michigan?

I also don't like the deck cleats you have on one boat. Removing them leaves four holes, so I guess I'd leave those also unless you are comfortable filling the holes with Gelcoat.
I believe you are looking at the cleats for controling the Super Sunfish cockpit mounted mainsheet traveler. Best to leave those in place if you plan on sailing with the high aspect ratio bermuda rig instead of the lateen.

I believe you are looking at the cleats for controling the Super Sunfish cockpit mounted mainsheet traveler. Best to leave those in place if you plan on sailing with the high aspect ratio bermuda rig instead of the lateen.

Deck cleats: I was referring to these. I hate these things. Why did they put them on there? They are ugly, they break, and have no useful purpose. Don't tell me these are for the Super Sunfish? I thought there were mainsheet cleats. I don't see why the mainsheet traveller would be so far forward. Guide me Landrew. Please illuminate...

I pulled one of these off of Scud, built in the late 60's, the other side was missing. I thought the Super Sunfish came much later than 1968. I'm still wondering how SCUD happened to have two.

I just looked up a Super Sunfish, that showed some of the rigging and it seems you are right about that funky traveller system. I just don't see the point of it yet.

UglySunfishDeckCleat.png

Regarding the Super Sunfish: I have not sailed a Super Sunfish, although I'd like to try one. Or at least see one rigged. Does anyone have any pictures?

A huge part of what I like about the Sunfish is the ease in rigging, so while I'd like to try the Super Sunfish, I don't know that I'd prefer it.

I have spend a lifetime rigging boats and believe me it gets old. It is not so bad, even fun, when you only have to do it once or once a year.

With small boats like the Sunfish and Lasers, that have to be rigged every time, it is sure nice when the job takes a only few minutes as in the Sunfish.

Deck cleats: I was referring to these. I hate these things … Please illuminate...
Not passing judgement at this point. There’s a new sailor trying to figure out what boats he has. Given the situation, I don’t advocate making modifications until all the parts are sorted out and some familiarity is gained. My thought is, any need for improvement will become self evident with use.

A huge part of what I like about the Sunfish is the ease in rigging, so while I'd like to try the Super Sunfish, I don't know that I'd prefer it.
Following the adage, “the bigger the boat, the less you sail”, you could easily ammend that to include “complex”.

_

Attachments

• Super Page.jpg
    Super Page.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 96
  • Super Rig.jpg
    Super Rig.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 82
Not passing judgement at this point. There’s a new sailor trying to figure out what boats he has. Given the situation, I don’t advocate making modifications until all the parts are sorted out and some familiarity is gained. My thought is, any need for improvement will become self evident with use.

Following the adage, “the bigger the boat, the less you sail”, you could easily ammend that to include “complex”.

_

Thanks for posting the Super Sunfish information. Very interesting to see how it is rigged. So the bridle in the back is not used? It has a vang and it looks like four sail controls--the Cunningham is obvious. What else could the other three be? Outhaul? I'm guessing the outhaul and Cunnighham are adjustable from both sides of the boat. Am I right?

Thanks for posting the Super Sunfish information. Very interesting to see how it is rigged. So the bridle in the back is not used? It has a vang and it looks like four sail controls--the Cunningham is obvious. What else could the other three be? Outhaul? I'm guessing the outhaul and Cunnighham are adjustable from both sides of the boat. Am I right?

That's right, the bridle sleeps. And yes, an outhaul and C'ham are rigged.

There's much more info in the Files section at the Sunfish Sailor site on Yahoo!Groups

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sunfish_sailor/
One needs to sign in, but it won't hurt.....

Unfortunately (?) the Laser took the wind out of Super Sunfish sales.

So the bridle in the back is not used? It has a vang and it looks like four sail controls--the Cunningham is obvious. What else could the other three be? Outhaul? I'm guessing the outhaul and Cunnighham are adjustable from both sides of the boat. Am I right?
Pretty much what you'd find on any single sail Bermuda rig, set up to race (dual trim control lines). I think the end result of the design was to give sailors the control found in other classes of boats. Today, that's been added to the lateen rig too.

Personally, my leanings are to leave the Sunfish in it's original simplicity and add a Laser to your fleet if one wants something higher performance and slightly more complex.

Now I see what the other mast sections were for. I will have to be on the look out for the parts to put it together. I am lucky to have two sets of sunfish rigging and one set for the super. Can anyone tell me if the sail for the super is the same as the regular?

Can anyone tell me if the sail for the super is the same as the regular?
Download the setup manual and parts sheet and I think the difference between the 75 sq ft lateen and the 65 sq ft high aspect ratio sail will become clear. ...or take a closer look at the pictures in post #13. The Super Sunfish sail is very similar to a Laser sail.

Now I see what the other mast sections were for. I will have to be on the look out for the parts to put it together. I am lucky to have two sets of sunfish rigging and one set for the super. Can anyone tell me if the sail for the super is the same as the regular?

When you get it sailing, post some pictures of the Super. They are rare enough that there needs to be more pictures posted.

Have you picked names for your boats? Two bad you only have two. If you had three, they could be Moe, Larry, and Curly! I restored three of the boats I learned to sail on in the 60's. Cape Code Mercuries. The kids at the Boat Club, tend to make bumper cars of them. Fitting names for those.

Put some thought into some good names for your nice pair of boats.

I guess that I could name my hobie curly but I bought the boats for my grandsons. I guess they have first choice but it may be hard to share them :D

Back