I dont have a vang on my 14.2

H2oPaul

I gues I been sailing about 10 or so times now with out a vang :eek: . I was looking at pictures of peoples 14.2 on here when I seen that everyone had one but me. Im new to sailing and is funny to find out I not have a important part of the boats gear :rolleyes: . I just installed a boomkicker (not took the boat out to try it yet) but I was wondring what would keep the boom down so it would not slide off the boomkickers arm. Now it makes perfect sence. my wife well love to know there is one more rigging line to control when we go out together :D . So Im wondring if the booklet I order for the 14.2 well show anything about what type of vang I need etc. If you can inlight these dummy in what vang is best to buy for my 14.2 that would be grate.Pictures wont hurt eather :) . As always thanks for your help... Im going to read everything there is to know about Vangs. Paul

A very good, inexpensive book for new sailors!

pepstuge said:
I gues I been sailing about 10 or so times now with out a vang :eek: . I was looking at pictures of peoples 14.2 on here when I seen that everyone had one but me. Im new to sailing and is funny to find out I not have a important part of the boats gear :rolleyes: . I just installed a boomkicker (not took the boat out to try it yet) but I was wondring what would keep the boom down so it would not slide off the boomkickers arm. Now it makes perfect sence. my wife well love to know there is one more rigging line to control when we go out together :D . So Im wondring if the booklet I order for the 14.2 well show anything about what type of vang I need etc. If you can inlight these dummy in what vang is best to buy for my 14.2 that would be grate.Pictures wont hurt eather :) . As always thanks for your help... Im going to read everything there is to know about Vangs. Paul

Your post reminded me of the most often used book that I have in my sailing library.The title of the book is "Sailing for Dummies". It is available at Amazon.com. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...103-5579176-5723049?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
This book had to have been written with me in mind!:D It's $14.95 plus postage from Amazon or you can find it at Barnes and Noble Book stores. (That's where I got mine.) It is loaded with 400 pages of information about everything that a new sailor needs to know. I've been sailing for several years and I still refer to it often. Check it out!

I made one using Harkin blocks that looks basically like this:

vang3.gif

Harken has a small boat vang setup with the V-jam style cleat, but I don't like that type. I prefer the cam cleat.

Dave

Dave Lilley, thanks for info on Boom Vangs for my 14.2 I was hoping you could tell me what blocks I should buy for my 14.2 ...... I dont have a dealer any where near me. I like harken to, but I'm not sure what bloacks to order. thanks for help Paul

Ok, with your help and a good west marine catalog I was able to putt together a good boom vang. Thanks alot for the pictures and the help. :D

How did you sail without a vang? A shackel on mine broke once in fairly heavy air. I tried to tie the boom down with some spare line, but that was not very effective. My main got in some pretty ugly shapes as I tried to get back in. Made it in safe, but I don't want to do that again.

I sailed about 10 or 12 times with out one. I kept the main sheet tight to keep the boom from going up to far. but yeah i would come home and read about difrent way to open the sail and then I would go back out on the water and could not figure out why I could not do it for the life of me lol. I just got back from the lake. the boom vang works grate so far. Im able to do alot more. so im reading again the books i have on sailing, for now thay make sence. live and learn for me I gues he? im geting a little fixt motor mount next week and going to go out to try a little 1.5 hp motor i got. is an antique from the 60s made by elgin. short shaft. hope it well reach the water.

The New self made Boom vang and the newly instaled boom kicker work grate! :D I took her out yesterday and had the best day of the year so far. was able to try all kinds of difrent sail angels etc etc. trying to take off with oars proove to be a mistake buts that another story. thanks everyone who helped with boom kicker boom vang and other things in these post.

A Vang .... thats what I'm missing ....

Pepstuge,

Do you have a list of the blocks you purchased to build a vang? In fixing the recent damage to my boat from its turtle expedition I just realized that there is and was no vang when I bought it. I contacted the previous owner and he didn't know about it.

Steve Brockwell
.... just learned rough fiberglass repair and is now trying to learn rigging..

Missing Boom Vang

The previous owner probably used the vang for something else to hive. They work very well as block and tackle for all kinds of tasks. And broke it never replacing it. You could call Catalina and ask for the original replacement. The Harken substitutes are better but expensive. Once out there you don't adjust the boom angle too much. Same with Cunningham. It's all in the C14 to get acquainted with the stuff for the next bigger boat. The wind pressure on the sail area is not big enough to really efficiently adjust anything. If you want to tune the boat look at the shrouds-lenghts and resulting balance.

Boom vang

The pictures posted for the boom vang are nice but the standard vang from Catalina as illustrated in the Capri book is 3:1. Class rules clearly state that parts should be "as supplied by Catalina". So, I would recommend keeping it 3:1. I changed what came with my boat to Harken gear. Also, keep the cam at the mast end not the boom end.
Jay Gross 1438.

Back