I am thinking of selling my 1986 Capri 14.2

Thread starter #1
I am thinking of selling my 1986 Capri 14.2, hull number 860. Original sails in OK shape (now missing middle batten - again). I am thinking $800 for the package is quite reasonable... any takers... I can be persuaded to deliver if necessary (you pay my gas - I drive a RAM 2500 now, and that might NOT make a whole lot of sense over GREAT distance!).

I have had her 8 years now, she has been fun. I want bigger though (see my posts on the forum).

Trailer has 4 year old tires (good shape, 95% tread, no dry rot), bearing buddies, new wiring (as of 2 weeks ago), and June registerred (in PA). I had title to boat and to trailer, but I dunno if I can still find it them (but I am sure with persuasion PA DOT can reissue them).

Here is what I did to her in the last year. I stripped the teak, and tiller... clear coated (needs to be done again to both)... put wood blocks on the stern to mount a trolling motor (included in sale Minn Kota 30lbs transom mount motor 2 years old), new jib sheet, new main sheet, new line on traveler, new main halyard, new hiking straps (I had to rig the stern hiking strap, as I didn't want to tear apart the barney to remount it, but all the hardware is there). Also I installed a Minn Kota quick disconnect socket mount at the port side stern, cockpit, to hook up the motor (plug put onto motor as the male end). The battery is a deep cycle battery, but is also about 7 years old, and probably could use another one, but it still holds 50% charge. I also purchased a new bungee for the centerboard, and put a new one on the front hiking straps.

The shrouds might need replaced in the future, but they are not twisted or bent (catalina direct has them $75 for the pair).

Here she is in NO wind, before launch completely configured ON the trailer middle of last year (before all new lines).
http://www.shnool.com/pictures/capri/100_0180.JPG
 
#3
Maybe you could go for a nice vacation in the Camden / Rockland Maine area with Shnool, Sail the near by Lake Magonticook or Camden, Rockport or Rockland bay. I would definitely be interested if near by.
 
Thread starter #5
I am on vacation this week.. But Doylestown is close enough (Nockamixon is a neighbor!)...

email me: shnool @ yahoo.com We can work something out I am sure.
 
#7
Not asking enough

HI SHnool,

I kinda hope you don't sell for 2 reasons. I will miss your posts on the forum and you are not asking enough. I paid $600 for mine and have been repairing it for 6 months. I had to replace all of the gel coat as there were just too many scratches to let it go. Most of the scratches were through into the glass. Yours looks ready to sail now. Well worth the money you are asking.
 
Thread starter #11
The boat is still for sale... I have been waiting on a member here, for later this week to come look at it... He has first dibs, and he would be travelling from Albany NY... so I feel obligated to give him first crack at it.

He has to invest in a hitch for his tow vehicle, so I figured I'd give him the time to do so. I will let everyone know in 1 week if he decides not to purchase.
 
Thread starter #12
HI SHnool,

I kinda hope you don't sell for 2 reasons. I will miss your posts on the forum and you are not asking enough. I paid $600 for mine and have been repairing it for 6 months. I had to replace all of the gel coat as there were just too many scratches to let it go. Most of the scratches were through into the glass. Yours looks ready to sail now. Well worth the money you are asking.
I do have scratches, and they are minor, and only gelcoat surface scratches. it also has some road rash (gravel kickup while on the trailer) which I had previously thought were osmosis blistering (they are way to small for that).

I have sailed it, actually acout 2 weeks ago. It is water ready, but a long way from Race ready (would need sails and a complete fairing, sanding and waxing)... It probably needs new shrouds, but they aren't going to fail, they are just due. Otherwise she is pretty bristol... A coat of varnish on the teak, and away we go.
 
Thread starter #14
I am on hold to see what unfolds this week.. boat might be sold.

I am on hold to see what unfolds this week.. boat might be sold.

Will update this post if for some reason it does not sell.
 
Thread starter #17
Once a sailor, always a sailor.

I will lurk around. Going through some rough stuff with a divorce right now. But plans are to upgrade to a Capri 22. I'd like to go bigger than that, but it isn't real practical now for me to think Blue water (which is ultimately what I want 32-36 foot).

A nice, brandy new go-fast, keel-boat would be an entertaining upgrade. The Ram 2500 is plenty of truck to pull it too (pull horses with it, why not?). Probably get a summer dock at Wallenpaupack (man made PP&L lake in PA).

I love the Capri 14.2, and I am sure I can still offer help to those starting out. Plus I want to stick with Catalina, as they have been wonderful to work with.

Also, keep in mind, the gentleman I sold it too, found it here on the board, I made him promise me he'd post his experiences here for all to share. I guarantee he'll have his own spin on rigging, and running.

Thanks everyone!
 
Top