Hyde or North sail

laser171110

Hi,
im a 4.7 sailor that is moving into a radial and i have the option of a North or a Hyde sail. All i know is that the Hyde sails are more expense. could i please have some help.

There are a bunch of threads regarding this question if you search the forum.

I generally say, unless you're at the top of the racing heap, use the North as you get more experience, and put the money saved to regatta fees/gas to travel, etc.

Supposedly Hyde has sail cloth has more resin in it and its stiffer because of this. It is also a brighter white, and costs more thats what I've gathered from reading other threads the quality from both brands suck so have fun picking;)

buy a North and pocket the 100, it won't make a difference at the average level

All Laser sails are exactly equal!!!

The class and the builders have strict production rules and nobody would ever let a sail out of the loft without makeing certain it is exaclty just like all the other Laser sails ever built.

Note: The Centerboard and rudders being supplied with Australian boats are just like the blades coming with European and NA Boats too. There are no diferences in performance or durability period.
Our class is one design and NOBODY would allow any new or different ptroducts into the Laser line of products.

The difference in price between a Hyde and North sail is purely because Hyde sails are sold by people who found out stupid consumers would pay for something that costs more just to have a different logo.

Rumor has it NIKE is considering distribution of a $2000 Laser sail called Lasair.

The class and the builders have strict production rules and nobody would ever let a sail out of the loft without makeing certain it is exaclty just like all the other Laser sails ever built.

Note: The Centerboard and rudders being supplied with Australian boats are just like the blades coming with European and NA Boats too. There are no diferences in performance or durability period.
Our class is one design and NOBODY would allow any new or different ptroducts into the Laser line of products.

The difference in price between a Hyde and North sail is purely because Hyde sails are sold by people who found out stupid consumers would pay for something that costs more just to have a different logo.

Word

And the import prices get you on the Hyde.

There basiclly the same, but there are probably minor differences though. Both hyde and North factories can not produce a carbon copy sail. It's impossble but probaly not noticible.

Im just about 140 and i have some trouble in the puffs of 10 - 15+

I usually do 4.7's if its a windy regatta but i always practice in a radial!

RADIALS RULE!!!!!

For a 4.7 is doesn't matter....buy a North and save the $$...howver soon very very soon North Sails will be a thing of the past.....(mark my words)

For a 4.7 is doesn't matter....buy a North and save the $$...howver soon very very soon North Sails will be a thing of the past.....(mark my words)

OK, I do mark your words. What do you know about what is happening in the world of Laser sails?

Don't tell me Quantum are the next big company!:mad:

All about Ullman!

OK, I do mark your words. What do you know about what is happening in the world of Laser sails?

All new Laser Race and Laser XDs are now coming with Hyde sails as standard, no more Norths. North started supplying Laser sails back in the early 90s when they were investors in the original SunfishLaser Inc. which is long gone. Since all Performance Sailcraft Europe boats come with Hyde sails the odds are that the shift will continue....

Might as well pay the extra $1,000.00 and get everything along with the free dolly or boat cover, (whatever freebie is offered these days w/purchase of a new boat).

This is off topic but the man asked.....

DK: Up here in Canada a Laser dealer in Ontario called Pride Marine offers a hull only option for $4,399.99 CDN (excl taxes, shipping).

http://www.pridemarine.com/index.cfm?category=10543|10544&product=2231176

Seriously, thats a bit of a rip off, just go the extra grand.

All new Laser Race and Laser XDs are now coming with Hyde sails as standard, no more Norths. North started supplying Laser sails back in the early 90s when they were investors in the original SunfishLaser Inc. which is long gone. Since all Performance Sailcraft Europe boats come with Hyde sails the odds are that the shift will continue....

So if you think North will stop offering sails, and Hyde will be the main provider, will this lower the price of Hyde sails at all?

Since Vanguard is no more, there is no difference in cloth types. the only difference is north folds the sail poorly (over the window and occasionally a batten pocket). hyde folds them with longer creases and more carefully.

Rumor has it NIKE is considering distribution of a $2000 Laser sail called Lasair.

Except of course that the Aussies now have epoxy foils that are reputedly the same density but harder wearing and much stiffer!

well vanguard just changed there name but you might want to buy a hyde if they last longer, because i have had mine since 2001 and its still crisp so maybe break the wallet but it can last longer depending what the conditions are, how you take care of it, etc.

Hi!

I´m a laser sailor from Spain, in Europe. Now €/$ rate is in our side, I am thinking about buying a NORTH sail in APS website.

¿Are this sails "class legal" in europe?

It sounds too easy to answer but I would like to have your opinions.

Thanks.

Hi!

I´m a laser sailor from Spain, in Europe. Now €/$ rate is in our side, I am thinking about buying a NORTH sail in APS website.

¿Are this sails "class legal" in europe?

It sounds too easy to answer but I would like to have your opinions.

Thanks.

Yes - but watch for import TAX

Due to international trademark regulations they don´t sell otuside their market zone.:mad:

I don't beleive there is a legal bar on intercontinental trade of sails just a Performance Sailcraft restriction. There are many ways around these and I know of numerous UK sailors who have beaten the 'ban'. One of the most common being to order online for a delivery to a friend or acquaintance in the States and them to post it on. I beleive that some have used this as a method for reducing the Import Tax duty as well though of cours I couldn't possibly comment!

I don't beleive there is a legal bar on intercontinental trade of sails just a Performance Sailcraft restriction. There are many ways around these and I know of numerous UK sailors who have beaten the 'ban'. One of the most common being to order online for a delivery to a friend or acquaintance in the States and them to post it on. I beleive that some have used this as a method for reducing the Import Tax duty as well though of cours I couldn't possibly comment!

Just came to the same solution as you GBR, I was mailing my friends in US.

Thanks for your help.

Back