Hyde or North sail

Thread starter #1
Hi,
im a 4.7 sailor that is moving into a radial and i have the option of a North or a Hyde sail. All i know is that the Hyde sails are more expense. could i please have some help.

There are a bunch of threads regarding this question if you search the forum.

I generally say, unless you're at the top of the racing heap, use the North as you get more experience, and put the money saved to regatta fees/gas to travel, etc.

Supposedly Hyde has sail cloth has more resin in it and its stiffer because of this. It is also a brighter white, and costs more thats what I've gathered from reading other threads the quality from both brands suck so have fun picking;)

gouvernail

All Laser sails are exactly equal!!!

The class and the builders have strict production rules and nobody would ever let a sail out of the loft without makeing certain it is exaclty just like all the other Laser sails ever built.

Note: The Centerboard and rudders being supplied with Australian boats are just like the blades coming with European and NA Boats too. There are no diferences in performance or durability period.
Our class is one design and NOBODY would allow any new or different ptroducts into the Laser line of products.

The difference in price between a Hyde and North sail is purely because Hyde sails are sold by people who found out stupid consumers would pay for something that costs more just to have a different logo.

Rumor has it NIKE is considering distribution of a $2000 Laser sail called Lasair.

R

Ross B

All Laser sails are exactly equal!!!

The class and the builders have strict production rules and nobody would ever let a sail out of the loft without makeing certain it is exaclty just like all the other Laser sails ever built.

Note: The Centerboard and rudders being supplied with Australian boats are just like the blades coming with European and NA Boats too. There are no diferences in performance or durability period.
Our class is one design and NOBODY would allow any new or different ptroducts into the Laser line of products.

The difference in price between a Hyde and North sail is purely because Hyde sails are sold by people who found out stupid consumers would pay for something that costs more just to have a different logo.
Word

And the import prices get you on the Hyde.

There basiclly the same, but there are probably minor differences though. Both hyde and North factories can not produce a carbon copy sail. It's impossble but probaly not noticible.

Im just about 140 and i have some trouble in the puffs of 10 - 15+

I usually do 4.7's if its a windy regatta but i always practice in a radial!

RADIALS RULE!!!!!

OK, I do mark your words. What do you know about what is happening in the world of Laser sails?
All new Laser Race and Laser XDs are now coming with Hyde sails as standard, no more Norths. North started supplying Laser sails back in the early 90s when they were investors in the original SunfishLaser Inc. which is long gone. Since all Performance Sailcraft Europe boats come with Hyde sails the odds are that the shift will continue....