Hurricane Katrina

Bradley

Admin/Operations
Staff member
The Capri 14 National Association and the Sailing Forums Network would like to send our prayers and thoughts to everyone in the gulf coast region affected by the horrible hurricane Katrina. Our regrets are especially with those who have lost family members and friends.

I would like to encourage all of our members and guest to help in any way possible. I personally feel as if I should put the jon boat on the trailer and head west to help recover people, but that just is not possible. However, there are ways to help. The Red Cross (http://www.redcross.org) and many other organizations are accepting donations to help in the relief effort.

Here is some information on the storm and how you can help from the NBC Nightly News.

As the Gulf Coast begins to dig out in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, emergency organizations are executing cleanup and rescue plans, seeking donations and setting up outlets to provide information on the storm and its victims.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency is taking the lead role in coordinating relief efforts. The agency is posting information about the storm on its Web site at www.fema.gov.

State responses are being coordinated by the Louisiana Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness; the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency (site down as of Tuesday morning). The Louisiana Governor's Office and the City of New Orleans also posted emergency information on Katrina on their Web sites.

The relief effort is still being hampered by flooding in some areas. Up-to-date information can be found at these Web sites: The National Weather Service and the Hydrologic Information Center (river flooding only).

The American Red Cross opened a telephone hotline on Sunday to receive for donations from citizens. The number is 1-800-435-7669. Other information on Red Cross emergency programs is available at the Red Cross Web site. And Red Cross shelter information for Louisiana is available by calling 1-800-469-4828.

Other relief organizations soliciting donations included:
The Salvation Army's Team Emergency Radio Network was taking requests for information on the welfare and status of loved ones in the hurricane area at its Web site.

Back