Humming Noise

Edward Teach

I was sailing close hualed in about 10-13 knots of wind and hiked over the gunnel pretty well keeping the boat on a flat plane and I noticed what sounded like a humming noise. It seems like at the time of the humming the boat was sailing at its peak performance, and this was the only time I would hear it. Does anyone know what this noise is? Also, I think I have a shorter than normal tiller (not sure of the length) and the pivot point of the tiller extension is further aft which makes it tiring on my arm to hold the boat straight, and I have to sit farther back it the cockpit instead of being in the more optimal position more foreward in the cockpit. Would a long tiller be better, and easier on the arms?

Thanks all!
Ed

I was sailing close hualed in about 10-13 knots of wind and hiked over the gunnel pretty well keeping the boat on a flat plane and I noticed what sounded like a humming noise. It seems like at the time of the humming the boat was sailing at its peak performance, and this was the only time I would hear it. Does anyone know what this noise is? Also, I think I have a shorter than normal tiller (not sure of the length) and the pivot point of the tiller extension is further aft which makes it tiring on my arm to hold the boat straight, and I have to sit farther back it the cockpit instead of being in the more optimal position more foreward in the cockpit. Would a long tiller be better, and easier on the arms?

Thanks all!
Ed

do you have a wooden daggerboard?
if you do there's your problem
wooden daggerboards aren't made for sailing closehauled like racing daggerboards

if you have a racing daggerboard maybe the problem is that you may have some dents or chips on the board that causes turbulence at high speeds

about the rudder, it must be 25 1/2 inches long (newer style) or 23 3/4 inches long (older style)

Sail Fast/Live Slow

Matias Jochamowitz

Matias and Wave,

Thanks for your input. I was out sailing again today in much less wind (probabaly in 5-s 7kt range) and heard the hum again. I was wondering if it might have been my dagger board retainer cord. I think you are right in that it has to do with the daggerboard. I have the new style board that has a balsa core and it does have a big chip on the trailing edge. I have the piece that broke off and I am waiting for the end of the season to repair it.

I bet your right that it must be causing turbulence. My darn camera craped out so otherwise I would have taken pictures of both my tiller and dagger board.

As for my tiller it is 36.5" long, which seems a bit short to me. Does any know what legnth is best?

Thanks,
Ed

Matias and Wave,

Thanks for your input. I was out sailing again today in much less wind (probabaly in 5-s 7kt range) and heard the hum again. I was wondering if it might have been my dagger board retainer cord. I think you are right in that it has to do with the daggerboard. I have the new style board that has a balsa core and it does have a big chip on the trailing edge. I have the piece that broke off and I am waiting for the end of the season to repair it.

I bet your right that it must be causing turbulence. My darn camera craped out so otherwise I would have taken pictures of both my tiller and dagger board.

As for my tiller it is 36.5" long, which seems a bit short to me. Does any know what legnth is best?

Thanks,
Ed

Ed:
I am posting the class measurements for the rudder and tiller

Attachments

• 44.png
    44.png
    228 KB · Views: 54
  • http---www.sunfishclass.org-archives-2006-ISCA_CLASS_RULES_20052006.pdf - Adobe Reader.bmp
    129.7 KB · Views: 51
So your tiller is about a foot short. You can either buy a new one although as stated elsewhere new parts are hard to come by now. Alan Glos who posts here often has used parts foR sale as does eBay. Several people also make knockoff parts that will work well. You could make one easily although I do not know what wood is best.

Regarding the humming it is your board - or else your hull delaminating at speed :) It should not affect your sailing unless it is humming a song you cannot stand :) BB

Just a thought ;
As well as looking for chips on your daggerboard , check to see if it's slightly warped.
I had a racing daggerboard that hummed after I left in the back of my truck and the trailing edge warped slightly in the sun.
I managed to heat it and get it straight again , and hey-presto , the humming stopped.

Back