Humming daggerboard

mixmkr

I have the original 69 wood board that has been epoxied, faired, gelcoated as needed. Its a pretty tight fit in the slot. Yesterday I put two vertical Velcro soft sided strips on each side...for and aft. Board still slide in ok but was a little tighter. Still hummed like a bad boy.
Well...gonna fair it out more hydrodynamically when there's time as a last resort before a new glass one. Oh well....it's only $$$ on this free fish. :-/

Thats the shape. Will leave what's in trunk alone when fully down. At worst case will become a barn door rudder when I get the glass board

As mentioned in other threads, the boat is singing to you because it's happy going fast.
Or, as member sailflow mentioned, the board may be warped.

Mine certainly is, and a bad varnish brush job has made the vibrating even more apparent.

(But the nice speed turns me happy again). :)

Mine used to hum, and I was fine with it. But then it started just humming "it's a small world after all" from Disney World. That was driving me nuts so then I fixed it to stop humming.

Don't run a sharp trailing edge. Take a sanding block and sand the trailing edge 1/8" thick with a 20 degree taper by sanding that side more. It will not hum after that. so the back will be I/ as opposed to V

Back