hull stain

CAN172033

I got this hull stain on my boat this year from sailing in regattas around small lakes, Ontario sailors know what I am talking about (sturgeon Lake) and i also got it in the st. lawrence river sailing too.

It's like a muddy, brown colour

How do you get this bloody thing out? I've tried every rubbing compound i know of, but it just looses a shade of colour and that's it.
I want to get the while thing out, without wet sanding the shine off!

HELP!!!

I don't know if your problem is the same thing that happens in the Chesapeake bay, but it sounds similar. What happens is that some kind of staining material gets into the microscopic pores in the the gelcoat. In the Chesapeake is was some kind of algae that turned brown when you lifted the boat from the water. Since the problem isn't *on* the surface, but rather *in* it, surface treatments (like buffing) won't eliminate it - although, some people had good luck waxing their boat *before* the first sail of the season, which would seal the pores and keep the slime out....

I don't remember exactly what we used, but someone had found a cleaner/bleach that would get the stuff off/out. It might have been TSP (or "TSP Replacement"). I remember it was pretty amazing, you would wipe the solution on the hull and almost immediately it would turn white again.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Geoff S.

Are you sure that's the name of the stuff?

If you could try and find out what you acually used, because it's the same thing

I have had good luck with a product called "Davis FSR" (fiberglass stain remover) - available in most marine stores for removing the yellow/brown stains. Wipe it on, rinse it off.

Back