Hull/Sail Numbers, have we hit 200k?

I'm sure most will think this is a silly question but I suppose I'll ask anyway: Have we hit hull # 200,000? I don't race much (once a year at best) in the Laser and have yet to see one. Just curious. Thanks.

Dan

based on the current rate of production and all that I figure in the first half of 2011 we'll see number 200000.

that's a lot of lasers

My unscientific survey, based on Lasers I have owned for the last ten years, shows about 3000 Lasers a year. At that rate, I think we will hit 200k sometime in 2010.

I suspect the first of the 200k series will be reserved for builder-supplied boats at a major championship.

I own laser 194846 and i brought that in beginning of jan 09 and a friend has 195xxx s=and that was febuary so i reckon we will see 200000 in late december/early january.

If you owned laser 200000 and you were over the line at the nationals its gonna be the easiest sail number to remember ever!!! Where as a randon one e.g. 198532 is gonna be quite difficult to remeember, if you understand my point. Lol

based on the current rate of production and all that I figure in the first half of 2011 we'll see number 200000.

that's a lot of lasers

Agreed, probably fairly early on.

The boats used at the 2008 Standard Worlds (February) were 193 series. If Halifax was 196 series, so I suspect that the UK Worlds would be 199 series, although the builder might request 200 series.

You need to remember that the sales of new boats decreases significantly in the northern hemisphere winter and this decrease is not matched with increased sales in the southern hemisphere. Basically, there won't be many new boats sold between now and March 2010.

Personally, I'm not keen to get a 2** series boat, the sail number will be very long and obvious on a starting line for a few years.

Thanks for all the info guys and gals. Really the question was nothing more than to occupy my mind as I watch it snow here in the Upper Mindwest, USA.

SailingMania and AlanD, you guys make very good points, of course I don't race on that level, I don't even race Lasers full time. For someone that does however, that's a great point.

I have been considering buying a brand new boat for the 2010 season and having the Laser be more of a priority in my racing schedule... I was looking at the Laser Performance website and evidently they are changing the boat color to solid "Vela Grey" in case anyone is interested.

Yeah, I used to live in the Upper Midwest. That being said, we'd sometimes visit the Upper Mindwest on February 29, and April 1. In one part of town there were some folks who visited more frequently, but you could always tell those folks by their sandals, long hair, peace sign jewelry, and the funny scent on their clothing.

Yeah, I used to live in the Upper Midwest. That being said, we'd sometimes visit the Upper Mindwest on February 29, and April 1. In one part of town there were some folks who visited more frequently, but you could always tell those folks by their sandals, long hair, peace sign jewelry, and the funny scent on their clothing.

oh bjmoose, that makes me laugh so hard!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Thanks for all the info guys and gals. Really the question was nothing more than to occupy my mind as I watch it snow here in the Upper Mindwest, USA.

SailingMania and AlanD, you guys make very good points, of course I don't race on that level, I don't even race Lasers full time. For someone that does however, that's a great point.

I have been considering buying a brand new boat for the 2010 season and having the Laser be more of a priority in my racing schedule... I was looking at the Laser Performance website and evidently they are changing the boat color to solid "Vela Grey" in case anyone is interested.

I just sailed in the High School Nationals (new 2010 model lasers) and this is correct, the boats are a light grey with white decks, very nice looking...

I just sailed in the High School Nationals (new 2010 model lasers) and this is correct, the boats are a light grey with white decks, very nice looking...

That is pretty much all you will find. It you want something other than grey, it's special order.

Perhaps this is a bit of a romantic notion, but I’d like to see the International Association, and the builders/sail suppliers, come together to donate this boat to charity. Sail number 200000 will be a special boat and is the opportunity to gain international media exposure. The boat could be auctioned online (ebay or similar), with the sales money raised donated to the agreed charity. The charity could also use the publicity to expose their cause.

I just bought a worlds boat today. Interesting. All of the sail numbers for the world boats were in the 196XXX series. However looking over my paperwork tonight my hull number is OQTL1741G910. By the hull number logic the breakdown should be as follows.

OQT - Built at Vanguard in R.I (Quarter Moon Inc)
L1741 - (L=21) so the hull number should be 211741
G910 - G=Feb, built in 2009. 2010 Model year.

I must of screwed something up decoding the hull number, I can't see them being this high already.

Back