Hull Repair

My dad is looking to repair on older Sunfish with damage to the hull directly under the cockpit. It cannot be accessed from inside from an inspection port but it should be glassed from inside. It is VERY flexible in that area. He is considering cutting a hole in the cockpit floor for access. Has anyone undertaken this particular repair? This will not be a race boat.

From your discription it's hard to tell what the damage is like. It does though seem doubtful that you must repair from the inside out. I just 'did' a bad spot in the same place. I first cut a piece of fiberglass cloth approx. 3" larger than the damaged area. Then applied resin all over and around the damaged place, covering the still soft resin with the cloth and working the cloth down into the resin. You should use plastic applicators to spread and smooth both the cloth and the soft resin. Work quickly because your resin will hardened quickly. After it all sets and hardens if you like you can smooth and sand but don't remove too much or you'll find yourself back to the hole. My patch isn't pretty or is it smooth enough for racing but it sure holds and doesn't leak. I use a fiberglass product from NAPA called Cuz. You can get the cloth there too. Good luck it really isn't too difficult.

Scott,

Yes, it is not an uncommon repair. Check the Yahoo groups Sunfish Sailor (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sunfish_sailor/). Look under Files, then Repair Manuals and then page 7 "Blind Hole Patch". The repair manual will give you the basics on repairs of different things about a SF. West Systems (http://www.westsystem.com/) is a common epoxy used and can be found at many marine stores. West has a Repair Pack (p/n 101-6 Maxi, about $23) that has 6 packets of epoxy, 2 tubs of fillers, glass cloth, gloves, mixing sticks and tubs and other stuff. I used part of one of these kits to do a similar repair to my brothers boat, about 8-9" long x 1 to1-1/2" wide (after opening up and cleaning out). I did this in three steps, inner support, fill and strengthen, final finish layer. After the final layer hardens, sand smooth, give it a shot of paint to cover and blend. Epoxy needs UV protection so I would suggest painting. Do the next layer while the previous layer is firm but tacky. This will help bond the layers together, chemically and mechanicaly. West has a "how-to" manual available at the same stores that sell the product and also on-line. MAS and System 3 are two other brands that are often used. Good Luck on the repair

Hey Scott,

I've fixed some of that kind of stuff. The hull and the bottom of the cockpit have "cookies" of bonding putty between them, partly for drainage and partly for support. I had keel damage in addition to hull and cockpit damage. I laid-up a patch piece first by using the hull as a mold. Tape some wax paper from the kitchen drawer onto the hull/mold and roll out some glass. Cut the patch and the damaged hull at the same time, dremel with a little round wheel works best, pry out the bad glass and use the patch as filler. Spray foam makes a great "cookie"/spacer, easy to shape to keep drainage. Fill in the seam with a waterproof filler and finish. I've fixed some from chine to chine this way.

Good luck to your Dad

terra firma is for farmers
jeff

Back