Hull paint

Kristian

Hello, I just bought a nice old laser to be used for club racing in Chicago. Its about 21 years old, and the bottom is a bit scraped and gouged. I'd like to refinish the hull, because of the surface, and also because the boat is baby blue, which looks damn silly.
I had been considering using VC performance epoxy, and applying myself by roller/tipping method, or having it sprayed at an auto body shop.
I was hoping people could give thoughts on a new epoxy finish vs. an old gelcoat finish. Will it be as fast? Is this even legal? Who's done this, or something similar.
thanks a bunch
ps, had my first race driving in my laser last week, it was amazing.

epoxy bottoms are illegal in the laser class, refurbishing the hull any other way than it was built will make it illegal to race as well.

Originally posted by CAN172033
epoxy bottoms are illegal in the laser class, refurbishing the hull any other way than it was built will make it illegal to race as well.

I know a number of people who have painted, re-gelcoated and otherwise refinished their hulls and had no problem w/ having the boat declared illegal. Below is the Laser Class rule in the hull finish. I interpret section (b) to allow quite a lot of lattitude. Seriously, who is going to protest over fixing up a beat up bottom. I'd be surprised if you shave more than 8lbs off if you sanded off all the gelcoat, and then you add in 8lbs again refinishing.....

11. HULL FINISH
(a) Waxing, polishing and fine wet and dry sanding of the hull is permitted, provided the intention and effect is to polish the hull only. Polishing/sanding shall not be used to remove mould imperfections.
(b) Sanding and refinishing of the hull with the intention or effect to lighten the hull or improve the performance, finish, materials or shape beyond the original is not permitted.

Yes, I agree with you, I did it myself re paonting and gel-coating the bul, but any other way then how it was built (i.e epoxy bottom) is illegal.

Hm. This isn't exactly a boat thats going to be top-level, refinish or no. If I have to stay with a gelcoat finish, does anyone know where to get older colors? Its kind of a robins egg blue. Since the color on there now is probably pretty faded, can i mix in some white to at least get a closer match? As to an epoxy bottom, is that really considered "beyond" the original gelcoat?
thanks guys

Re-gelcoating can be a real PIA, unless you are willing to pay someone else to do it. It's needs to be sprayed on, and I think it's best to learn on something other then the bottom your laser. The usual result is a fair amount of "orange peel" that has to be sanded, sanded, sanded, then rubbed, rubbed, rubbed and finally polished...... As far as finding the original color, you should be able to get a pretty good match from suppliers of gelcoat

If the scratches aren't too deep, you can fill them with a gelcoat repair kit, and then wetsand the entire bottom, (start at 220 and move all the way up to 1200 o 1600) and then rub and polish - you should be able to sand away all fading and bring fresh gelcoat to the surface. You'll still have to maintain the finish year after year.

2 part polyurathane paints are a viable option to re-gelocating - not quite as hard (resistant to scratches), but better shine if applied correctly, and zero maintainence after. Fumes are toxic

There are prev posts on the paint vs gelcoat debate here, do a search on it.

As far as the epoxy issue, I think it's very ambigious wording in the rules, I have a difficult time accepting that it improves the performance. You could try posting the question on the Laser email list, I think you will get a few more informed opinions there

I saw a nicely restored Laser that was repainted to it's original color using Awlgrip. The color is the same light blue (I have a boat that used to be that color as well), and it looks original except it is glossier. But with Awlgrip, like gelcoat as 49208 said, is best done by a professional.

Hmm. Things to think about. I'm going to look around for someone to spray the boat. Sounds like awlgrip is the way to go? Im guessing its got to be more durable than an epoxy paint. thanks for the advice guys.

Back