Hull & Hardware Differences 64 to date

bellancav

Hi all,
I have a '64 Sunfish that my parents bought me , when I was 12, back in '73. I want to teach my kids to sail. She hasn't been wet since '81.The hull has had some damage & abuse that may affect its seaworthyness. All the Brass and wood are in good/excellent condition. The sail has never been used. I had left home when the damage was incuurred. The mast socket has been broken out and "repaired" and my young cousins decided to sand the hull with a belt sander after they decided my hand wet sanding method was slow and inefficient. YIKES! Much of the gel coat, needless to say, is history. If I need another hull, are there issues with the hardware that I need to be aware of? Since this boat will not be doing any beaching can I use a good epoxy paint if I can assure myself it is safe to sail. This boat is recreational only. What is a fair price to pay for a hull? I am in an area North of Houston between College Station and Huntsville TX.
Thanks, Jim
[email protected]

Jim,

Sounds like you may have a real project there or it may be beyond hope. Do a leak test to see if the hull is sound. Directions can be found at Wind Line Sails (http://www.windline.net/index.html (you want to give Dan a call and ask his advice)), Sunfish Sailor and elsewhwere. You can get the hull re-gecoated, check with a marine yard the specializes in fiberglass. The cost may not be worth it (with the mast well damage). For a new(er) hull, check the local newspapers, this forum (post a wanted add), the Sunfish Sailor Yahoo group (the files section has more info on history), e-bay (watch out on the price) and sites like Sailing Texas (http://www.sailingtexas.com/index.html). Prices will vary depending on the year and condition of the boat. Many times it will be a complete boat that may need some work. Should you decide to scrap your '64 hull, save all of the rudder hardware, wood parts and other fittings, there are others out there that are looking for old parts and will purchase them.

Around 1972 a cuby hole was added to the cockpit along with a new rudder system (much better than the old bronze setup). 1980 introduced the Barrington Daggerboard and 1987 brought the rolled edges (stonger joint, stiffer hull). Minor changes in hardware and fittings over the years (example; the mast and deck pullies have been replaced).

Your mast, spars, sails and daggerboard will work with any year hull. The rudder will not work with hulls after 1972 (an silver colored bracket will be on the transom, no bronze parts on the deck or hull bottom). Your sail and daggerboard may not be competitive with the newer sails and boards, but you say you are just going to use you SF for recreation.

Good Luck on getting your old or replacement SF back in shape and sailing. Glad your kids are interested (we need more youngsters) and you are willing to teach them.

Back