Hull damage around the daggerboard trunk.

JLBennettCo

I flipped over the gunwale during a capsize and landed on the daggerboard. It seems to have done some damage to where the trunk meets the hull.
I have an inspection port on the deck in that area and all the internal glass seems good.
How do I best go about fixing this?
582F9267-26D9-403C-87CC-06B988563454.jpeg
94528E54-868A-4F5F-B2D5-F7B63823856E.jpeg

I just did a leak test on it (leaf blower inside an inspection port and then spray soapy water). It isn’t leaking, thank the Lord.
It looks like there’s a little bit of a void in there. Should I fill it up with epoxy before gel coat?

If you think there is any chance of minor damage to the glass (likely) you could apply some very low viscousity, penetrating epoxy like Git Rot before applying the gelcoat.

I would fill it with coloured gel coat I am doing the same thing to Laser I bought. The gelcoat I am using is not waxed so I have to put wax paper on top for it to harden then it hard and smooth.

If you think there is any chance of minor damage to the glass (likely) you could apply some very low viscousity, penetrating epoxy like Git Rot before applying the gelcoat.
Is there wood in there or does Git Rot just flow nicely to fill the voids?

Git Rot just came to mind because it does penetrate porous areas. There may be something better that is not known to me.

Back