Hull Cover

debaser

Was planning on storing my Laser, hull side up this year and wanted to see what everyone recommended for a cover. What is everyone using, what is the best cover out there?

Storm covers work great! Yes, Storm is the name of the manufacturer and they sell hull and deck covers specificaly designed for Lasers. You can pick one up from $250-$300 USD I believe so they are a bit pricey but nothing works better. And yes, tarps are good too.

Just make sure sheets/tarps etc are well secured/anchored. Somewhere I saw a system for hanging a laser sideays on a fence/wall but can't remember where that was.

They have the garage one in APS. Anyway, I forget what brand of bottom cover I have, (it's at the club) but it isn't canvas. It's like what APS calls the "moisture guard cover" or something like that. The garage thing would be way cooler than a cover though.

hey why are covers so expensive
the best thing to do if you have so much money you get the hull cover and when you have it on your dolly you put it on the deck and when you travel you put it in the hull this way it dosent grts dirty

The Storm covers are made by North Sails in Sri Lanka for Vanguard. The material is very similar to the ones made for APS and Optiparts - moisture guard 2000.

The garage hanging kit is basically a few blocks, cleat and line packaged by Harken.

John D-E has some alternative hanging methods listed on his site for both the garage and sideways
John D-E's page (I've built his PVC dolly for 60 bucks including tires but I keep snaping various elbows in it in the cold weather, about ready to give up)

I welded a dolly, it's strong and light for about $30 including tires. It's a bit heavier than a Seitech but it's much stronger and cheaper.

galvanized steel doesn't weld well and produces cancer causing fumes from welding it. The only way to make it work is grind off the galvanizing before you weld, it is also more expensive and harder to get.

Back