how would you split the deck on a laser 1 sailing dingly ?

mxjosh

im wondering whats the best way to split the deck on a laser 1 sailing dingy so i can we seal the boat properly cause both sides are opening up and it be easier to split the sailing dingy then just doing the sides

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 103
Making a major drama out of a little crisis there Josh...
You got a dremel ?
If so a diamond bit fluke on the dremel will eat away the old bonding, I'd only do what was cracked and re fill up to it, I wouldn't try and take the deck off its stuck to the daggerboard casing and the mast pot is attached the floor inside.
If you ain't got a dremel suggest you get one, ebay/ gumtree/ Argos / b&q ?

im wondering whats the best way to split the deck on a laser 1 sailing dingy so i can we seal the boat properly cause both sides are opening up and it be easier to split the sailing dingy then just doing the sides

Separate the hull and deck of a Laser by knowing the following:

1) The edges are typically "glued" together with a polyurethane adhesive sealant. Over time with flexing, the hull and deck seal will break down and start to separate.

When my older Laser started to separate, I used a putty knife to continue separating the hull and deck. Warming the edge with a heat gun will also help.

2) The mast step and cockpit drain areas are also "glued".

These are the other two areas that will appear to stick together. You will need to support the deck with horizontal 2-by-4s and assist gravity in pulling the hull down.

I suspended the deck support assembly with a loader bucket and had good access to view where the sections were still "sticking". Go slowly so as not to break anything.

Once it is apart you will see the internal supports. Clean everything up. replace any rotting wood.

When you put the two halves back together, you can use a polyurethane adhesive sealant (3M 5200) or you can use epoxy with fillers to permanently seal the two sections back together. I used epoxy with adhesive fillers on my old Laser. I am now working on an O'Day 19 and will use the 3M 5200. Both methods work. The epoxy may make the hull more rigid.

Good Luck,
John

Liking it...
Good bit of work man.. Like the colour.
She's cleaned up lovely, are you pleased with yourself ?

May I suggest a little something.. That old wooden tiller - nothing wrong with it except the universal joint. If it were reseated right at the sticks end ( a centimetre back ) two things work in your favour.
1 - you get a little further reach in light air upwind
2 - you don't get the mainsheet wrapping round it

Last edited:
yeah i am mate put some top coat on and deck paint on , but not sure what my sail is for casue mine is 3.8 and everyones at the club is 4.7 but some how mine over take theres but there number is bigger then mine ?

Lolz, 3.8 refers to the weight of the sail cloth your (old) sail is made of.
Your mates 4.7 refers to the square meterage of their sail - 4.7 sq.m ....your sail is just over 7 sq.m.

Back