How wet is too wet?

NJHippo

Bought 2 Sunfish and a trailer (well really wanted the trailer). One of the Sunfish is in pretty good shape, for an a fifty year old boat. The other is very wet, probably filled with water at some time and missing sails and spars. I put the bad one up for free and craigslist as I didn't want to repair, but got so many responses I thought maybe it was repairable. I paid $300 for the whole lot, so I figured selling the center board and rudder would get a bunch of that back. Hole is a straight 4 inch gash in the bottom about 3/4 of an inch wide. So I am rambling, any advice how to dry this 1974 hull out and repair the gash or should I take one of the offers to haul it away for free?

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20190818_111941.jpg
    IMG_20190818_111941.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 64
I've got a thread a few below yours with a wet damaged hull that I'm repairing. To dry it you cut holes in the hull and put a fan in there and wait. The rest is fiberglass work, which is a bit messy but not too difficult.

Starting a sunfish project

On the other hand... you say you bought two Sunfish and a trailer, but really only wanted the trailer. If drying out and working on a second Sunfish isn’t what you’re into or you don’t need another boat taking up space, stick with your original plan. Sell the parts if they’re decent, offer up the free hull that needs drying out and repair. Personally, I wouldn’t pay any money for a wet hull- especially with a big hole in it- but I’d grab it for free!

I don't really need a 6th Sunfish :confused: but I'll be on my way to Scranton, PA in two weeks. If your exit is near I-84, I'll give you $100 cash—just for the hull. (More, depending on the availability of the sail and ancillaries).

I don't really need a 6th Sunfish :confused: but I'll be on my way to Scranton, PA in two weeks. If your exit is near I-84, I'll give you $100 cash—just for the hull. (More, depending on the availability of the sail and ancillaries).

Sorry didn't see that until too late. I 84 would have been have been a pretty big detour for you anyway. Have a box fan coming from amazon, I am go to see how light I can get it. Right now take 4 of us to carry

Back