How/Were to buy a new racing sail

58984 EW

Mine ripped this weekend and I need to get a new one ASAP. Vanguard is quoting $386, and that's without shipping. I have a feeling I can do better. Anyone know of any bargains out there. Also thinking of getting new booms (racing) while I'm at it. Thanks in advance

Eric Woodman
508 333 7519

You won't find a Discount on the North racing sail. and thanks Cindy for the Colie sails tip, I agree putting the numbers on is a real pain.

58984 EW said:
Mine ripped this weekend and I need to get a new one ASAP. Vanguard is quoting $386, and that's without shipping. I have a feeling I can do better. Anyone know of any bargains out there.
Eric Woodman
508 333 7519

As mentioned by others there are no 'bargains' out there. Nevertheless, give Daniel Feldman a call at WindLine Sails. He is very active in the class and knowledgeable. 888-461-WIND

Thanks for the tips all. When I said a racing boom I meant what Vanguard called a "performance boom", which comes with the cleats for a Cunningham and outhal already installed. Apparently you can purchase them that way now.

ew

Another tip...Unless you live near a dealer, you will bay $$$$$$$$$$ for shipping on the booms. Better to schedule to pick them up at a regatta or something like that where a dealer will meet you. Or, just buy the cleats and install them yourself.

You might consider putting the cleats on yourself or find out where Vanguard puts the cleats. I am not happy with the position of my cleats. The mainsheet gets caught in the outhaul cleat so I've put duck tape on it to prevent that from happening. Both my outhaul cleat and my cunnigham cleat face down so that the line does not stay cleated, especially if I tie a handle which adds weight to the end of the line. I've tried wrapping the end of the line around the boom to prevent it from falling out of the cleat but I also changed my outhaul line to a smaller diameter spectra line (7/64") which slips out of the cleat. So, I cannot easily adjust my outhaul and sometimes it gets loose. BTW, I have a 2003 Worlds Sunfish.

I've got two questions for you guys... I'm completely new to sailboating, but I just unexpectedly picked up a sunfish at an auction, so I'm trying to learn a little about this stuff before I throw it out on the lake.

First, what is the difference between a racing sail and a regular sail? The gentleman I purchased it off of told me that the sail hadn't been used in years, and although it was in good shape, it would probably need replaced due to its age. I'm looking for insight about which one I should purchase IF I need to.

Secondly, what are these "cleats" you guys are referring to? I finally found a diagram at http://www.sunfishsailboats.com/mast.php that has helped me identify a lot of the parts I've seen mentioned on here, but I didn't see cleats on there.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Propain,

The biggest differences between the racing sail and the recreational designs are the size of the sail and the price. THe racing sail is larger and more expensive. If you are not planning on racing, there is no reason at all to buy a racing sail.

The cleats are used by racers to adjust the outhaul tension (the bottom of the sail) and for a cunningham, which pulls down on the luff, or front edge, of the sail. Again, for a beginer who is not racing, I wouldn't bother with the cleats. You can always add them later if you have the need.

Your old sail, as long as it's not ripped, is probably just fine for learning with. I'd go have fun with it for a season and then decide if you want to invest in new equipment.

Regards

EW

EW, thanks for such a quick and thorough response, I truly appreciate it!

Also, is there a specific website that has been set up for sailing beginners, or is the "Sunfish bible" I've seen advertised pretty much par for the course?

I wouldn't buy a Sunfish Bible unless I knew alot about sailing and was intending to race - most of it is written in the secret sailors language and the authors are caught up in complicated methods to 'go faster'.

I'll sell you my copy for a good price if you want it but I would suggest that you just figure out how to rig it the standard 'tourist' way (as the racers say) and go have fun.

JG

The Sunfish Bible is well named. Because it's just like the real bible. Full of myths and legends and lots of stuff that's out of date and contradicts itself. And the people that believe in it aren't any better than the people that don't.

But, it's the best source available for the beginning racer. Just look at the dates on the books/articles/interviews as to if the advise is current.

Propain,

Go to Vanguard and download the rigging guide and parts list. They won't teach you how to sail, but will help you get set up and identify any parts you may have a question about. EW has it correct about the racing vs standard sail, there are a few more refinments and a window but that's about it. A new sail will crinkle and sound loud, but an old, quiet soft sail (like a well used sheet) will get you going. Get some sail patch tape (the cloth kind and round the corners so it doesn't peel off) to patch any minor holes. Like EW says, if it is not ripped or torn, use it for a season or two. Save you money this year and see if you need/want to invest in a new sail. You might also see if there is a club or someone nearby that can give you a few lesson or tips on sailing. Good Luck

mike4947 said:
But, it's the best source available for the beginning racer. Just look at the dates on the books/articles/interviews as to if the advise is current.

There's a lot of stuff in the bible that's misleading, wrong or even dangerous - and some beginners may take it as gospel.

A couple of examples at random...

Page 49 says the rope bridle is legal. NO - IT AIN'T.

Page 87 says it's OK to come into the windward mark on port tack, tack within the two boatlength circle and then force a starboard tack boat to head up. WRONG. It has been illegal since 1997 (if the starboard tack boat has to go above close-hauled).

Pages 260 and 261 advise on the wearing of water jackets. DON'T DO IT. They've been banned for years.

So if you see a beginner with a rope bridle, wearing a water jacket, coming into the mark on port tack and fouling you, you'll know he's been reading his bible. Praise the lord!

There's a book called "start sailing right" by Derrick Fries (sound familiar?). It is a great book for beginners. It is cheap and used (IIRC) by Red Cross and US Sailing.

I am a new sailor (have only been out on my Sunfish 3 times) and I bought a Sunfish Bible. I agree that most of it is related to racing and a lot of it is outdated, however I still consider it a wise purchase. The history section is interesting and there are a lot of good tips and simply enjoyable reading.
However, I have found that the book "Sailing for Dummies" is a much more comprehensive and informative book for beginning sailors. About half of the book is devoted to small keel boats and half to dinghies. None of it is specifically related to Sunfish, but it has been an invaluable resource for me and I have 'dogeared' it to death. I found my copy at Barnes and Noble, but I'm sure it can also be found on the web.
Brad

Tim Polaski said:
There's a book called "start sailing right" by Derrick Fries (sound familiar?). It is a great book for beginners. It is cheap and used (IIRC) by Red Cross and US Sailing.

Start Sailing Right has a lot of good stuff. But most of the text and illustrations are about sailing in 2 man 2 sail boats. Some of it is relevant to Sunfish -- but not everything.

Gee I wish they had books back when I learned to sail. My dad put me in an old junker Opti and pushed me out into the lake and said "Have fun!!!" It didn't take too long to figure out---pull this, push that, go as fast as you dare then push a little more. You wipe out, you pushed/pulled too far. Wipe out enough, you get good at it.

Cindy Taylor said:
I like to order my sails from Colie Sails since they put the numbers on the sail free of charge. I hate that task. But according to their website (www.coliesails.com) they have the same price as Vanguard.

I have been told that some dealers might do this too, but do not advertise it. So check with your local Vanguard dealer if this is important to you.

Shipping on the booms isn't all that expensive...but it is still better to pick them up yourself if you can. As far as getting a new race sail, Layline is always a great place! They treat their customers well and I have always found their prices to be fair.
TB

Back