how to store fish short term (daily)

jschick

What is the easyest way to store your fish short term? I go to Va 2-3 times a year for 10 days at a time and sail. My father and I both have a fish which we generally pull up on his floating dock, tip them over and drain any water from the hull. This year we are adding a slide to our dock which will not leave enough room for the 2 boats. The main dock is 3-5 feet above the water level depending on lake level… so it is not easy to get them on the main dock but there is plenty of room their.. And the shore is lined with rip rap (large rocks) I could build a ramp over the rock of some kind, but again not real easy and it would have to look good, I thought about 4 inch PVC pipe type rails but that would probably scratch the boats sliding them up it?? Any ideas?? If I leave them in the water they do gather water in the hull about ½ to ¾ inch

thanks

jschick said:
What is the easiest way to store your fish short term?

Keep it in a well lit fish tank and don't forget to aerate the water. Feed your fish every other day and clean the tank once every couple of weeks.

Could you store the boats resting on their side rails leaning against the slide? Tied off and padded, this might work on your floating dock even with the slide. You could also mount a davit off your main dock to help you lift the boats onto the dock. I don't know what is available commercially. I’d be inclined to build something out of pressure treated lumber to use with a system like the one Harken sells to store your Sunfish hanging from your garage ceiling.

Possibly, Unfortunatly I won't know how the slide will fit on the dock till we get it in. but you have given me a Idea! getting them on their sides would be the problem, but making a "hanging carrier" ON A PULLY to tilt them out of the water my be the ticket, to lean them on the slide. 2 ropes to make a cradle, on a pulley on the top of the slide, pull and as you pull it should tilt up on the dock against the slide........ Thanks that is worth looking into..

Back