How to sail with two people

Debbie

I tried taking my friend out on my sunfish. He weighs 200lbs and when he got on the boat it tipped over. We sailed on a light wind day with him sitting next to me and he had to lean way forward to keep us from tipping- plus his legs were in the way Of the cam cleat. I’ve read on here that the other person can sit opposite you but if he is sitting on the side of the boat that the sail is on, wouldn’t we tip over when the boat heels? And wouldn’t he have to lean forward on The down wind side while tacking?

I tried taking my friend out on my sunfish. He weighs 200lbs and when he got on the boat it tipped over. We sailed on a light wind day with him sitting next to me and he had to lean way forward to keep us from tipping- plus his legs were in the way Of the cam cleat. I’ve read on here that the other person can sit opposite you but if he is sitting on the side of the boat that the sail is on, wouldn’t we tip over when the boat heels? And wouldn’t he have to lean forward on The down wind side while tacking?
Not using the cam cleat helps. Just tend the line directly off of the block, as in the older Sunfishes. Back when I had a Sunfish, I would have people sit on the front of the cockpit, with their butts by the daggerboard. As long as their weight was more or less centered, it wasn't hard yo keep the boat fairly flat in light winds. I never tried it in heavy winds.
Most of the people I took out were used to canoes. They knew to step in on the centerline!

It’s easier with a kid, but I’ve sailed the Sunfish plenty of times with another adult. I usually sit at the back of the cockpit and I have them sit at the front of the cockpit, opposite side that the sail is on. If needed, I shift my weight around at the back to balance everything.

If your mainsheet is in the cam cleat or ratchet block, it can be a pain for them to switch sides on a tack... but it can be done.

This video shows a couple ways we positioned ourselves when my wife and I sailed on Crystal Lake in northern Michigan.

Last edited:
Fully agree with Tag. Sailing with 2 adults can be done fairly effectively on a Sunfish. But you and the other adult will need to coordinate movements when tacking. I sail frequently with my wife, though she is closer to 100 than 200 lbs :) If I am managing the tiller and mainsheet, I drop the mainsheet while turning the boat through the wind so that she can change sides while the boom traverses the boat and she doesn't get tangled up in the mainsheet. We don't set any speed records for coming about, but we get it done fairly smoothly. If she's 'manning' the tiller, I usually manage the mainsheet and I keep control of it is as she tacks and I switch sides. Also, I raise the sail higher on the mast if there are 2 of us in the boat to avoid unpleasant bonks in the head by the boom. With lifejackets on, it can be challenging for 2 adults to get low enough for the boom to swing by during a tack (or gybe).

I can't imagine sailing with another adult in a Sunfish if they don't have some idea how their position in the boat must change with prevailing conditions.

Last edited:
This video shows a couple ways we positioned ourselves when my wife and I sailed on Crystal Lake in northern Michigan.
Crystal Lake is such a gorgeous lake. Only sailed in it once. Terrible wind shadow at the public boat launch if the wind is from the SW, but once out on the lake... nice! Looking forward to doing so again post-covid. Thanks for the video.

Reactions: tag
It’s easier with a kid, but I’ve sailed the Sunfish plenty of times with another adult. I usually sit at the back of the cockpit and I have them sit at the front of the cockpit, opposite side that the sail is on. If needed, I shift my weight around at the back to balance everything.

If your mainsheet is in the cam cleat or ratchet block, it can be a pain for them to switch sides on a tack... but it can be done.

I don’t get when she’s in the front of the cockpit how the main sheet isn’t in her way. Great video btw.

Debbie - the mainsheet is in the way... but I guess it has never really been a big deal. maybe it helps that I'm not normally giving kids/adults rides in really heavy wind conditions. thanks for liking the video - it's still one of my favorite days ever sailing (but my wife has never sailed with me since!).

Hey, OP, these craft are tender, so it's important for a passenger to grasp the concept that his or her body is live ballast, and the positioning of this ballast is critical because it affects the performance of the boat. :eek:

Tag and Weston both have good tips, and of course practice makes perfect, but there are a few things to remember... better for the passenger to NOT move around so much as opposed to the skipper, who needs to be able to control the boat. :rolleyes:

However, when maneuvering, folks will have to shift position... like Weston & Tag, you might develop a system or sequence while tacking or gybing, a way to carry out the maneuver with the least amount of confusion and awkward or unstable moments, LOL. :confused:

This takes time, but the good news is that once your passenger begins to understand the sequence or process, then your maneuvering should get smoother and you'll begin to work as a team or crew. :D

As an example, I went sailing with a friend and his son aboard their C-15 (or Coronado 15), which they had just purchased. Neither had much sailing experience so I was at the tiller, explaining things to them as we sailed along, right? ;)

Now these boys were BIG STRONG HANDS, I was the runt at 190+ pounds, LOL. I noticed things got cramped as we tacked with three grown men aboard the boat, though the C-15 is well-designed and has plenty of sail area... things can still get lively while tacking in a good breeze. :confused:

Anyway, we decided to remove the boom vang while beating to windward and 'short tacking' down the channel, as it got in the way of the hand farthest forward. I just told him to disconnect the vang from the boom and let it lie up forward, and that simple adjustment made all the difference in the world, LOL. :cool:

Later, when sailing off the wind, we reset or re-rigged the vang and used it as needed, since there wasn't anywhere near as much shifting of live ballast on the reach & run home, aye? So little things like this make a BIG difference in the world of recreational sailing... :rolleyes:

You'll figure out what works for you and your passenger... like SeaOtter5 mentioned, your heavier passengers will soon learn to stay closer to the centerline to avoid mishaps, allowing you to compensate by shifting your weight (or live ballast) as necessary. :D

And know this: for optimal sail trim with two people aboard, and when you can't keep the boat quite flat, better to heel slightly to leeward than heel to windward, aye? You'll encounter less frustration that way, both you and your passenger. :)

Traditionally, the skipper sits to windward regardless of the point of sail, but sometimes it pays to alter that arrangement and have your passenger sit to windward... of course, if the wind is strong enough, you'll both be on the windward side, I'm referring more to light airs and soft breezes here. :confused:

Hope this helps, and I hope your friend doesn't write off sailing due to one uncomfortable voyage... both of you can take steps to solve these relatively minor problems, and get on out there again to enjoy sailing as it should be enjoyed, LOL. Good luck to ya, and CHEERS!!! :cool:

P.S. I once had some serious explaining to do when I referred to a hot date as "live ballast"---guess the phrase wasn't too flattering, LOL. ;)

Last edited:
Had I uttered THAT phrase, I would've been slapped for sure... this was a high-toned, high-falutin', high-maintenance Coronado gal, which is probably why our "relationship" only lasted about 48 hours, LOL. :confused:

Meh, she probably did my wallet a favor when she kicked me to the curb... by her standards, my wallet was freakin' anorexic anyway, no future in beggin' her to come back, LOL. ;)

Give me a country gal any day of the week... I can't keep up with these modern urbanites, and I have no clue whatsoever as to what they really want. Probably explains why I've never been married, though I've been shacked up a few times. :rolleyes:

And I don't feel left out when it comes to kids, I helped raise some of my 20 nieces & nephews... now they're having kids of their own, which makes me what? A grand-uncle? Is there such a thing in the world of relatives? Meh, they can call me whatever they want, just so it's not late for dinner... :cool:

A question for you, Tag, about the camera mount. I've got a cheapie Go Pro knock-off that I'm not afraid of taking sailing from time to time. I mounted it to the tiller near the rudder but my video didn't turn out near as good as yours. It looks like you also are mounting the camera on the tiller. Do you recall how you did that or have a photo of the setup?

A question for you, Tag, about the camera mount. I've got a cheapie Go Pro knock-off that I'm not afraid of taking sailing from time to time. I mounted it to the tiller near the rudder but my video didn't turn out near as good as yours. It looks like you also are mounting the camera on the tiller. Do you recall how you did that or have a photo of the setup?
Weston, I blogged about it a while back:

I made a really crude setup to mount it on the tiller.
BEF0F847-F0EE-4557-8DB3-0E744D828CCC.jpeg

And this is what I’ve been doing lately:
F9C02786-FB7F-459B-A093-3814E2BBDF09.jpeg

Awesome! That is some nice craftsmanship, Tag. Thanks for the quick response and great photos. I'm a bit a of a hack when it comes to carpentry, but I think I can come up with something like your tiller rig. If I can get a video any near as good as yours, I'll be very happy.

Back