How To Remove Oil From Gelcoat ?

TriniSailor

Hey folks,

I had a lovely sail today in a constant 15 knot wind with 5 foot swells. Lots of action and hiking but while passing in the bay to return to my slipway. There was an oil slick and with the waves it splashed onto the deck and also on the transom.

I need some tips on how to remove it and hopefully get it back as close as possible to original.
38DDCEF8-9949-4957-84D3-89C61F75AD9E.jpeg
0CC40C10-09DA-41B9-9E56-C667F98715EA.jpeg

Speaking of stains: I hadn't noticed that I'd cut myself on something, and several drops of blood landed on the deck's gelcoat. :confused: Though somewhat faded, they're still there after four years! :(

Mr wind....wax your hull...ya bum!!! Takes 15 mins with a fish!. That 40 yr old porous gelcoat....

Dawn to get rid of the big chunks. The Iron Out to clean it up. 3M Fiberglass Restorer and Wax to protect it.

Pleas use the classic bow handle. You can tie off to that and your holes are already drilled.

Hahaha that’s how I got the boat. I would like to put a cleat instead of a handle alone since the cleat can work as a handle and a place to tie onto as well.
One of my five Sunfish has a cleat :confused: instead of the classic bow handle.

You wouldn't believe how snagged-up that cleat can get! :oops:

Signal Charlie is correct—the original design is perfect. :cool:

I agree on the bow handle vs the cleat. Lifting the bow off a trailer, etc... a cleat isn't as friendly a handhold... and yes, the snagging for sure. No...no jib sheets on a fish, but something will jump somewhere and snag.... or at the least you'll stub your toe dancing on the foredeck at night with the gang.

oh... I think the newer fish have alum backing plates, but I put some on my older 69. I could hang mine from the rafters with the handle, as long as the handle held. It aint going anywhere.

Wash it down with a diesel soaked rag. Then dish washing soap to get the diesel off. It will break it right down;)

Back