How to remove and replace existing inspection port

OldDog

Hi All,

I just purchased a 1993 laser which has a Viking 5" inspection port. I want to install a bottleport and I was told by the pro shop that I woud need to replace the existing port. Even though they are both 5" ports the bottleport will not screw in right to the existing port. I removed all of the screws from the eixisting port but cannot get it out. It is probably he silicon sealant.

How do I break this free wtihout damaging my boat? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

OldDog,

If you have removed all the screws, then run something like a Stanley knife between the inspection port and the deck to break the silicon seal. With a gentle twist of the knife the inspection port should lift up.

HiTime.

I recently replaced my inspection ports - they were old and cracking.

When I redid them, I only used silicone. No screws or bolts. Works just as well, with less strain on the ports. Not sure if anyone else has done the same.

By the way - you already solved your problem, but another solution with less chance of scratching things would be a putty knife.

Actually what I used was one of those knifes with the segmented blades that you break periodically to get fresh point. I extended the blade fully out to produce a long, thin, razor sharp knife (with a plastic handle). This allowed some flexibility to get under the rim with the blade lying flush against the fiberglass. The knife edge itself never contacted the fiberglass. The blade was thin enough to easily slip under the rim withut scratching the fiber glass and with the sharp blade there was no forcing or effort to cut through the sealant. It was pretty easy work actually. Much easier than it was looking when I first started the thread.

Thanks everyone!

Back