How to match top side off white color?

rcarney61

I have 2 50 year old sunfish. The deck coloring is wearing off on both. I would like to paint (with epoxy paint) both decks. I don't know how to match the off white color. Any ideas?

If you're painting the entire deck, matching colors won't be such an issue. Getting close, you'll never notice. It'll look like new, 50 year old boats! If the deck and hull are the same white, getting close will usually be enough as the "separation" between the two will "lessen" any color differences. BTW, now is the time to get creative and create your own color scheme and design ;-D
Epoxy paint?? such as?

Maybe I am wrong, but weren't they originally all bright white? If you are painting the decks, just pain the whole deck? Just the only option I can think of.

If you're painting the entire deck, matching colors won't be such an issue. Getting close, you'll never notice. It'll look like new, 50 year old boats! If the deck and hull are the same white, getting close will usually be enough as the "separation" between the two will "lessen" any color differences. BTW, now is the time to get creative and create your own color scheme and design ;-D
Epoxy paint?? such as?
I want to keep the racing stripes as they match the sails. I plan on using Pettit EZpoxy (2 parts). The bottoms are a bright white now and that is too bright for sailing in our Florida sunlight - almost blinding.

Maybe I am wrong, but weren't they originally all bright white? If you are painting the decks, just pain the whole deck? Just the only option I can think of.
The original was an off white, and a bright white deck would is a bit blinding in the Florida Keys sunshine. Besides, I have racing stripes that match the sails, and would like to keep them.

Pettit Easypoxy is a one part paint. It's a good choice and comes in many colors. If you're painting the deck I'd paint the stripes, as well.

I agree with Breeze. Most name paints have different choices in white. Awlgrip has a good 10 choices or so, but it's more geared towards pro application. Others such as Brightside, I'm sure have an off white and a color close to your stripes and is easy on the wallet. Roll and tip on horizontal surfaces can give incredible results....or just brush it on.

I want to keep the racing stripes as they match the sails. I plan on using Pettit EZpoxy (2 parts). The bottoms are a bright white now and that is too bright for sailing in our Florida sunlight - almost blinding.
I agree about Florida sunshine! Standard "white" is too white, although I have four other Sunfish including deck colors of baby-blue and maroon. (Much easier on the eyes). Careful with heat-gain using darker shades.

I've modified paint colors mixing two different internet-recommended paint colors.

My usual hardware store doesn't recommend mixing their official tints intended for latex paints with Rustoleum oil-based paints. (Rustoleum is what I use, but you have to really bake it in the sun, as it cures rather slowly).

It's really more of a science than I can keep up with.:confused: But you can get "close" by mixing a quart of white with a pint of (say) brown. Check with the store expert for whether the paints you've selected will dry darker or lighter.

Back