how to make an old laser hull shine again

cmansonh

I have a 94 vanguard hull that is stored on a floating dock and I have noticed that all the other boats have a nice gloss and my sisters new boat has a nice gloss......how can I get my older boat to have that nice glossy finish on the hull.

Just used this on my hull and it's so slick and shiny it won't stay on the trailer!

StarBrite Marine Polish is great for new and older Boats. Helps stop fading caused by UV rays. No hard rubbing required. Lasts up to 4 times longer than other polishes.

For the longest lasting shine we recommend using a finish coat of Starbrite Premium Marine Polish with PTEF. Protects fiberglass, metal and painted surfaces. Super-slick PTEF® finish repels dirt, stains, and salt. Cuts drag. Wipe on, let dry, wipe off. No hard rubbing required. Great for bare gelcoat racing finishes common on lasers, J boats and Sonars.
starbright.jpg

Careful using these products on the daggerboard as it will make righting following a capsise more difficult. Also keep it off the trailing edge because it prevents the friction pad from working and your board will keep popping up.

more of an extreme case, the underside of my old Laser had deep gouges, scratches, gel-coat cracks AND a dull, powerdery finish. It is 36 years old.
I used "Plasti-Bond", a polyester bog, to fill all the defects. An old plastic card (eg credit-card) was used to apply the bog and scrape it smooth.
Then I block-sanded with 240-grit, to get it all nice and flat. An orbital sander was then used with 360 then 800 grits over the problem areas, and then 1200 grit all over the boat. A wet & dry hand rub with the 1200 removed any scuffed areas.
Finally I used "turtle wax" car polish to bring up the shine. Because this beads and repels water, it can be slow in drifter conditions. To remove this waxy coating, the boat can be washed with dishwashing liquid.

Back