How to make a bridle?

roccaas

Current bridle is circa 1973 and boat and all are going out this weekend for the first time since Nixon was President,

As the bridle is suspect, does anyone have instructions on how to tie one from rope?

Thanks

Current bridle is circa 1973 and boat and all are going out this weekend for the first time since Nixon was President,

As the bridle is suspect, does anyone have instructions on how to tie one from rope?

Thanks

Small diameter line ... 1/8" to 1/4" but just about anything you can easily slip through the eyestraps will do in a pinch.

Length to equal the cable bridle = 31" (not including the knots)

A tight double braid will slide better than a twist type rope.

New-England-Ropes-3305-16-00600-rw-32868-30908.jpg
new-england-3-strand-hi-vee.jpg

Tie the main sheet over the rope bridle with a bowline knot. As a matter of fact, a bowline will work for all the knots.

Bowline-Knot.gif

...or use a stainless or bronze snap clip. Either will slide just fine.

stainless_steel_snap_hook_with_ring.summ.jpg

Avoid those gateless aluminum carabineer key clips you see
in a fish bowl at the hardware store checkout, they won't hold.
The plain bowline knot is much a more secure choice in that case.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread but, I am using a trigger clip like the one below. Any advantages the snap might have over the trigger or the spring clips?

Attachments

• BRZ-11839.jpg
    BRZ-11839.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 90
I am using a trigger clip like the one below. Any advantages the snap might have over the trigger or the spring clips?
That's the style clip that came spliced into the Sunfish mainsheet for many years.

I don't believe it makes any difference what sort of clip is used so ling as it's durable enough.

If you are using the no-loop type bridle or a line, a more open clip may run over the bridle a little easier.

Back