How to leave the boat for fast re-rigging

Jeff Schneider

So I've just purchased my first laser. I'm an experienced sailor but haven't owned a Laser before. I'm looking forward to it! As I read the rigging instructions, I have one question for you folks -

Do I have to un-step the mast every time I come back in from sailing? The sail slides over the mast with a sleeve I see. Is there a way to untie the outhaul and roll up the sail around the mast? I guess the battens would make that a problem. What do people do? Always unstep the mast and take the sail off?

Thanks. Sorry for the newbie question!

Yeah. Unstepping the mast is pretty much the only option. What I do when I know I'm going out the next day is unstep the mast, take out the battens and roll the sail around the mast. Leave the mainsheet and outhaul on the boom.That way, all I need to do the next day is insert the battens, step the mast, attach the clew to the boom, and thread the control lines (This method needs an appropriate place to store the mast for the night). If you're feeling particularly adventurous and really don't want to unstep the mast, you could capsize on the way in, take out the battens, and when you get back on shore, roll the sail around the stepped mast. I don't really like the idea of the mast step grinding the fibreglass while it rotates though.

The best option is always to take the sail and all control lines off, and to take apart the mast. Roll or flake the sail and coil each line separately. That way you get to inspect each part separately when de-rigging and re-rigging. With practice, this won't take too long.

At two-day regattas, most do what 4.7sailor prescribes. Usually with a cover on top. The mast will stick out, either at the bow or the stern; this can be a bit of a problem when space is tight.

Before CORK last year, I got a full length mast bag from APS.Basically on the eve of my first race day I placed the sail on the mast, rolled the sail up, and slid it into the bag.

Steps for quick rigging on race day
  1. Take your cover off of the boat
  2. Slide Sail Out of bag
  3. Place battens in pocket
  4. Step mast
  5. Thread Control lines and mainsheet
  6. Put boom on and set outhaul
  7. Launch
With this I can get rigged and sailing within 4-6 mins.

Link for the mast bag: http://www.apsltd.com/p-28261-aps-laser-mast-rolled-sailspar-bag.aspx
Good cheap alternative to a $200 cover: http://www.apsltd.com/p-28248-aps-lasertyvek-deck-cover.aspx

After a heavy air day I suggest that you fully derig every day to take pre-bend out of the mast, and check sail for wear and tear.

This also keeps the sail in good shape.
If their is significant bend in your mast I dont suggest rolling you sail around the mast.

Back