How to fold a sail for shipping

Thread starter #1
My question is about a windsurfing sail, but I think the same principles apply.
I am having a used sail shipped to me by land. In order have the best rate, the sail must be shipped in two packages: one for the 5 battens and one for the sail. The sail ( 8 m2) has a 507 cm luff ( 202") and is 220 cm wide ( 88") at its widest point. Being made of Dacron I don't see a problem in folding it up, except perhaps for the plastic window.
There is probably a way to avoid folding over the window, but then the box will have to be larger and the cost will increase. Can I take a chance and fold the sail to the smallest possible size, regardless of the window? Otherwise I have to drive 6 hrs to pick it up!

Thanks

Ittiandro

If the sail is new the sail maker should know how to package the product where it will not be damaged in shipment. If this is a used sail then the age of the sail and how much sunshine it has seen will make a difference. If it is an old sail it is possible that a folded window will retain a crease for some time. The newer the sail the less the risk.

If you are concerned about folding the sail to fit the smallest possible box then I must wonder how much the extra freight would be to package the sail properly. If the shipping expense is a major factor then you may want to wait a little while longer and save up the extra few bucks proper shipment will cost. If you use a properly sized box to protect the sail then you will probably find that the battens will easily fit into the same box as the sail...

Good luck!

Thread starter #3
If the sail is new the sail maker should know how to package the product where it will not be damaged in shipment. If this is a used sail then the age of the sail and how much sunshine it has seen will make a difference. If it is an old sail it is possible that a folded window will retain a crease for some time. The newer the sail the less the risk.

If you are concerned about folding the sail to fit the smallest possible box then I must wonder how much the extra freight would be to package the sail properly. If the shipping expense is a major factor then you may want to wait a little while longer and save up the extra few bucks proper shipment will cost. If you use a properly sized box to protect the sail then you will probably find that the battens will easily fit into the same box as the sail...

Good luck!
It is a 10 years old Dacron sail and, yes, I was concerned about folding it to fit the smallest possible box ( probably 36" x24") because I have an older sail made of a very stiff, transparent and noisy plastic ( you can hear the crackling one mile away! !) which has already cracked in some points, but if you say that I risk no more than a few creases for some time, I can live with it, provided that there is no risk of tears or cracks.
If I got it shipped in a roll, the difference would be about $ 40,

Thanks

Ittiandro

Better Dental

Emergency Dentists Rochdale
Step One:
Starting at the foot of the sail, make the first fold about 18 to 20 inches up from the foot.

Step Two:
Make a similar sized fold further up on the sail and lay the second fold on the first.

Step Three:
Continue in this manner until the whole sail is neatly folded.

Step Four:
Make sure the sail is smooth and free of creases.

Step Five:
Start the packing fold across the width of the sail.

Step Six:
Fold the sail over and over about 18 to 20 inches or small enough to fit the box you are going to use