How to fix this?

Fredn

Hello all, I recently got a 470 in good condition but at the back there is a bit of de-lamination. I was wondering if anyone knows what would be the best way to fix this? There might still be some dirt and leaves under the red panel. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20200602_182054.jpg
    20200602_182054.jpg
    672.9 KB · Views: 125
Hello all, I recently got a 470 in good condition but at the back there is a bit of de-lamination. I was wondering if anyone knows what would be the best way to fix this? There might still be some dirt and leaves under the red panel. Thanks in advance.

Is the grey just an added friction layer? Or a structural part of the hull?

How deep is the delamination? Is it still plastic under the loose part or open to the water?

I think I would just sand like at least 5cm (2 inhes) wide on both the delaminated part and on the hull, clean with acetone and use epoxy with two layers of fiberglass.

Somehow missed this when it was posted :oops:

The grey is the cockpit floor/outer skin of the hull. One and the same in a 470. The red keelson with flange sits on top of it, and was originally fastened to the floor with polyester resin.

It may look bad but in reality it's not that serious. No strong forces act on that part of the boat, so you actually don't have to do anything to it for the time being. You could mark the end(s) of the crack to see if it develops further with normal use of the boat. It's actually easier to fix the more it's detached :D

If you consider it psychologically annoying (I would!), then clean the surfaces as well as possible, and re-attach with polyester resin. If you can fit a single layer of fibreglass in between there, fine.

_

Back