How to attach deck clam cleats?

AQBill

Has anyone successfully attached clam cleats to the side deck? And are they held on with screws or epoxy?

Many thanks!

They are through bolted on the cockpit overhang. You can put nuts and washers on from the inside of the cockpit.

Attachments

• picsunfishjd.jpg
    picsunfishjd.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 65
Thanks Charles Howard. This should have been obvious but as my Sunfish is a distance away, it wasn't. Do you recommend wedges to raise the aft ends of the cleats? Several folks have suggested that they might be helpful.

On an older boat I had blocks under the cleats. On my new boat I do not have cleats as I race and prefer just having the sheet in my hands.

Reactions: tag
They are through bolted on the cockpit overhang. You can put nuts and washers on from the inside of the cockpit.

Because my "seasoned" 1970's Sunfishes have developed spider cracks all around the cockpit, I'd suggest a wide backing plate to take some of the stress off that edge. Even with a metal backing-plate, one clam-cleat has its own set of spider cracks. :confused: So, I'd suggest a cutting board backing-plate.

Showing the area around my mainsheet block, which had never been removed since I bought it. There's dry black crud, but showing another phenom:

Fullscreen capture 5112019 65158 AM.bmp.jpg

Back