How To Anchor A Sunfish?

Gray

Good first sail...will post my comments and photos later! When making a rest stop or lunch break on the water whats the best way to anchor the boat! Heavy Mangroves and swampy shore lines do not permit "beaching"! Is a anchor a common item to have on board? Gray

Good first sail...will post my comments and photos later! When making a rest stop or lunch break on the water whats the best way to anchor the boat! Heavy Mangroves and swampy shore lines do not permit "beaching"! Is a anchor a common item to have on board? Gray
You could use an anchor, but much depends on the bottom.

Vinyl-clad mushroom anchors are good for muddy or sandy bottoms, and would harm the finish (less) ;).
To protect the finish, the anchor could be carried in those orange-mesh plastic bags that potatoes are sold in.

There are some small galvanized anchors that have wide blades to mimic mushroom anchors and fold up for storage. I've seen some tiny home-made grappling anchors that would work for such a small boat as a Sunfish. You could run the anchor line around the mast, and thread it through the bow handle.

Even anchored properly, I wouldn't want to be caught in bad weather with an anchored Sunfish. :eek:
Carry a knife. :cool:

All good comments. If you anchor or moor a Sunfish for any period of time, run the mooring/anchor line thru the bow handle and then tied the end around the base of the mast as the Sunfish bow handle is not all that strong, especially an older boat with the bow handle attached with wood screws rather than the newer machine screws and metal back-up plate.

Alan Glos

Heavy Mangroves and swampy shore lines do not permit "beaching"! Is a anchor a common item to have on board? Gray

Y'know, in shallow and quiet "mangrove country", you could use a rock. ;) Make a wire cage for it, and run your line through a loop. When the tide or the weather "turns"—slip the line—you're "out" a coat-hanger. :cool:

I'd either get a rubbery coated mushroom anchor or a folding anchor and keep it in a nylon bag in the cubby or something. Like said, tie it to the mast.

I'd either get a rubbery coated mushroom anchor or a folding anchor and keep it in a nylon bag in the cubby or something. Like said, tie it to the mast.

Onboard storage would be a problem. :oops:

Suggestion: Stick an inverted, medium-sized, plastic funnel over the top of the anchor. To stow the anchor outside of the cockpit, secure the anchorline especially tight—keep a muddy anchor at the bow handle. :)

Back