How to add deck hardware?

kraken

Hi All...

I just bought my first Laser, an older hull that needs to cunningham and outhaul upgrades. Looking at the kits, I see I need to install a double eye / cleat to the deck. My hull has no inspection ports and, at least for now, I prefer not to add one. So, how does someone add deck hardware without access to the underside of the deck?

The deck plates are designed so that you can use the same screws and holes as for the cunningham fairlead and Clamcleat. No need to do anything below the deck.

_

Late follow up here...Currently working on the same exact project. Any idea if there is substantial backing under the deck in said areas? Or possibly nuts glued into the hull to secure the fittings? Considering the amount of load that'll be on the new deck plates I'm worried about them pulling out. Considering cutting a hole in the cockpit for an inspection port to get eyes on the area.

There are built-in (=they won't fall off) wooden backing plates behind all fittings on the deck. As said, the cunningham and outhaul block and cleat plates are interchangeable with the cunningham fairlead and Clamcleat using the same fasteners. Have never heard of any pulling out. The block plate may actually bend out of shape if you rig the mast retention line too tightly, but will stay attached to the boat!

_

The only time I have had a cunningham deck eye pull out was when I released the the sheet by undoing the knot on the boom end in an F4 coming onto a lee shore. I forgot to loosen the cunningham and as the boom rotated over the bow of the boat the cunningham rope tensioned and the eye pulled the screws out of the deck with a nice ping noise.

This was on a 47000 boat. Easy fix with a deck hatch and bolts with stainless penny washers behind.

Forgot to say, if you have an 8:1 cunningham only 1/8th of the load will be on the blocks at the foot of the mast which is a lot less than the original pre XD spaghetti string and loop system used to put on it. You will be ok.

Back